Raspberry Pi Zero W: just say no

Discussion in 'RFinderPi - Open Source radio interface based on R' started by AD5MB, Oct 9, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, the price went up by 50%, to $15 :). Meanwhile, the Pi 4 1GB RAM version has been brought back. Maybe that was due to them having several already filled with chips, and not having to wait for the supply chain for more for the other versions. I've been waiting for the Pi 4 2GB version for months for my file server upgrade. First 1GB Pi 4 I spot on the internet stores, I'll try to grab it.

Ted, KX4OM

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

We need to bring back TI. Stop depending on other countries for our electronic parts.

Is the RPi 4 made in Canada ?

4. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

That would be nice, but if you can buy the same chip (part, widget, whatever) at 1/3 the price, which do you the the market will decide wins? If an American sourced product costs 2x (or more) than one made overseas, how do you compete in the global market? In some ways, this is where the brutally expensive government procurement contracts come from that we all shake out heads at - very strict sourcing, lifecycle, support, and other requirements that can make a seemingly commodity item cost 20X what the open market can provide.

We have been enjoying the benefits of globalization (cheap stuff), but we're learning some lessons as well - I hope!

Most Pis are made in a Sony factory in Pencoed, Wales,[24] while others are made in China and Japan.[25][26] - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi

AB6RF, KX4OM and KA9JLM like this.
  5. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

The Pi Zero is a GREAT little computer for what it was designed to do. No, it's not the best choice for a desktop machine.... but that is not what it was intended to do. As mentioned above, they are best used as contoller boards for devices.... like tuning my loop antenna.

For a desktop computer, you need a Pi3 or a Pi4. I currently use a Pi4 w 8gb, a Pi foundation 7" touch screen monitor, and two large LiO batteries in a handy "lunchbox" configuation to run my SDRplay, keep up with my logging, and do all sorts of regular computing tasks.... like e-mails, cruising the QRZ, and running Libre Office. It is without a doubt the most bulletproof computer I own.

6. N6YWU

N6YWU Ham Member QRZ Page

This is actually a rap against contemporary desktop software, especially browsers such as Chromium and grossly overweight web sites, not the Pi. I benchmarked my Pi Zero W as more than half as fast as a Cray 1, which for several years, was the fastest supercomputer in the world, costing nearly $10M and requiring a 100kW power supply. The fact that one can't browse the web on computers as fast as the one that National Labs once used for classified research says something about modern software.

I've used my Pi Zero W in the shack for SDR and audio filtering, not quite fast enough for real-time FT8, but more than fast enough for RTTY, psk31, and audio EQ.

7. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Seems like a difficult task to achieve a reasonable comparison without access to a Cray 1 running a benchmark application such as commonly seen today. Maybe the Phoenix(Cray 1) has risen from the ashes and that benchmark data has been published. I do agree that today's "confuser" outstrip those of the pass on performance and price at almost every turn.
    Mike

8. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

A Cray 1 did about 160M FLOPS, my iPhone is measured in TeraFlops. Amazing.

9. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

I would not really consider using a pi zero w for desktop computing.. I'd look at a Pi 3 or 4 for that. I run my zero for a small headless function (it runs a few scripts from a cron.. it's perfect for what I'm doing with it).

10. AK7AN

AK7AN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Troll????