Raspberry Pi supply chain problem

Discussion in 'RFinderPi - Open Source radio interface based on R' started by KX4OM, Nov 16, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

Three weeks ago (10/21/2021) Eben Upton addressed the supply chain, and the effect it has caused on availability and (temporary) pricing of the products:

https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/supply-chain-shortages-and-our-first-ever-price-increase/

The Raspberry Pi boards are designed and manufactured in conjunction with Sony as a partner in the UK.

From what I've seen in online searching, here in the US only the 4GB and 8GB versions of the Pi 4 board are available, and in some cases those are at highly inflated prices (some Amazon sellers). I have not seen any 2GB boards, much less the 1GB boards that have recently been temporarily reintroduced. Premium products, the Raspberry Pi 400 and "kits" based on it have some availability. Those who are looking for simple file server, minimal-RAM requirement Raspberry Pi boards with USB3.0 who would normally pay $35 are temporarily out of luck.

An alternative at this point might be the Rock64 Rev3 board with 2GB RAM and USB3.0 ($42.95) from AmeriDroid. The 1GB RAM version, which originally sold for $24.95, is "out of stock" . The Rock64 is a descendant from a Kickstarter crowd-funded open source project, Pine64, inc. The availability of the board can be determined by clicking through the payment process, as far as I can tell.

Ted, KX4OM

2. 2E0TXE

2E0TXE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Another alternative is the Beaglebone Black. Software might need some slight adaptations, but if you are experimenting in such boards should be capable of compiling from sources.

3. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

I looked at that, but USB3.0 is a requirement for me, as it can run a USB to SATA adapter much faster with USB3 for the file server. Otherwise, I would use my Raspberry Pi 3 B+ board. I am going to use the 3 B+ as a separate computer to do routine backups for the file server. The server will be the data content holder for all of my LAN PCs using Windows 10 with mapped Samba folders.

The SBC that I settled on is the Atomic Pi Intel Atom board for ~ $40 for the server. It has USB3.0 as well as 2.0. I started a thread on the QRZ Computers, Hardware and Operating Forum since it is not Raspberry Pi-specific. I'll be using it with Linux, but that SBC can also run Windows 10 and Android as the OS.

Ted, KX4OM

4. AD5MB

AD5MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I found 2 8gb Pi4 boards for $128 a week ago. I thought I would buy one on payday. wrongo. they were gone the next dayeverything out there now is $250+

I noticed that all the solar parts I have been eyeballing for an RV solar system are no longer in stock. I just ordered the panels and charge controller. still researching batteries and inverters