Raspberry Pi For Mobile Ops

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by K0PIR, Apr 28, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. K0PIR

K0PIR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have been experimenting with a RPi3 at home. WSJT-X and Fldigi works great with it. I am using an Icom 7300 transceiver at home.

PA318830-300x184.jpg

A few Hams have asked me about it and mobile use. Some have even used it portable with a 7" touchscreen. I was thinking it might make a good permanent addition for mobile operations, assuming the rig has digital capability or something like a Signalink USB.

It just requires a little power, touchscreen and cable to the sound card device. It could be mounted permanently.

So I am curious, does anyone here use a Raspberry Pi in their RV or vehicle? If so, what's the setup and how do you like it?

W6TUX likes this.
  2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have used the RPi3 for making mobile Allstar nodes.

There is plenty of info available on the internet on how to get started.

I got hooked using the RPi3, I have 4 of them now.

Have Fun.

K0PIR likes this.
  3. K0PIR

I know just what you mean, they are fun and it's easy to collect them :)

4. AD5MB

AD5MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Not just yet. Thinking of getting one as a dedicated terminal for Arduino projects.

Has anyone made an RPi into a TNC or RTTY terminal?

K0PIR likes this.
  5. K0PIR

I have seen plans for Pi TNC.

6. W9FTV

W9FTV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

W6TUX and K0PIR like this.
  7. W6TUX

W6TUX Ham Member QRZ Page

8. KC0NIB

KC0NIB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have one. Bought it before we went full time in the motorhome. It's here in a tub in storage for me to play with as time allows. I had looked into using this with the radio but still not sure how. I have a laptop that I use with it that works well for what it is. I am pondering the Pi-Star thing for it but have not had much time to look into it.

DE; KC0NIB
    Jeff

9. G6NLZ

G6NLZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi I use 2RPi 3's at home for digimodes with an FT450d, and for logging no problems connected to internet. Mobile not so easy as the Pi's don't have onboard clock so JT modes no good , I have a realtime clock board on order for my go-box with Pi3, signalink usb, FT891and 7" screen
    Mac G6NLZ

K0PIR likes this.
  10. K0PIR

Hi Mac,

What are you using for logging?

Rich, K0PIR