Raspberry PI + dual TNC-PI's as a Kantronics KPC-4 Replacement?

Discussion in 'RFinderPi - Open Source radio interface based on R' started by N6DSW, Feb 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N6DSW

N6DSW Ham Member QRZ Page

What I find completely ironic is that quoting from Broadband-hamnet's own mesh networking page:

"In order to gain benefit from this system you must be fluent in TCP/IP networking or be a highly motivated self-starter who can independently acquire that fluency. .....but at this time you are responsible for your own education in the fundamentals of computer networking."

"HSMM-MESHâ„¢ is not a fully mature, time tested, finished product. "

"HSMM-MESHâ„¢ is not a one-size-fits-all solution."

So back to my original discussion point. I'm dealing with reality. Most users who are volunteering know how to push a PTT switch, and if I am lucky know how to send an email. That's as simple as it gets. As much as I love tech, I need to look at what I have on hand & what is simple to deploy in a given activation. Our service are is as much as 80 miles on the long side with many serious hills & valleys folded in plus a couple of mountain ranges (including a dormant volcano just outside our boarder by 3 miles.) Mesh nets are not going to cover this. Heck even 2M has many locations we serve in that are sketchy or flat out don't work. Low power referbed Linksys routers running DD-WRT or Open-WRT is not even scratching the surface. It's equivalent to bringing a knife to a gunfight. Not scalable or practicable.

What you are campaigning for are folks who need to be at least semi proficient as an IT / TCP/IP expert. We've got very few of those. But that's not required when you test for a ham license. So quit complaining on the fact the typical volunteer are not such experts and are not as motivated as you or I. Start dealing with reality and what we do have on hand to work with within a volunteer group of hobbyists who want to help out in an emergency.

As far as I am concerned this thread has been beaten to death and has completely flowed away from my original request which was of "Raspberry PI + dual TNC-PI's as a Kantronics KPC-4 Replacement?" If you have something to add to that topic that bring an answer to my question, great I'd like to hear it. If you want to argue about what could of / would of / should of, take it elsewhere.

Dave - N6DSW
    Asst Radio Officer
    Sonoma County ACS
    Fire & Emergency Services

2. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

....and I was hoping to learn more about the raspberry pi and use as a kpc-4 replacement....silly me :)

3. N6DSW

If you are not being sarcastic, I have what appears to be at first glance a relatively good solution being bench tested right now within the last 48 hours. It would have been sooner but I'm learning Linux too. But it's not 100% the same as a KPC-4. But for our needs as a high level stand alone node-gateway/bridge between bands it seems to be a good substitute.

Let me know via private message so as to stay away / stay focused on the thread from those who choose to be trolls.

Dave - N6DSW
    Asst Radio Officer
    Sonoma County ACS
    Fire & Emergency Services

4. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for demonstrating why we are falling behind in the state of the radio art, and why emergency operations are starting to get along fine without us.

I suggest modernizing your infrastructure, and you come up with 900 reasons why it's unpossible (Most of which boil down to all of your volunteers are idiots, and incapable). Then, you call me a troll for pointing out how it's easier than trying to shoehorn Winlink (And antiquated, outmoded system), because all of your users (Presumably) know how to use the internet.

I'm done. Keep on with your 25+ year old technology, and keep watching your group's utility decrease in public service operations.

Somehow, it's impossible for hams to implement something a number of cities have done with volunteers who are not hams.

5. N6DSW

My pleasure.

Thank God.

6. K6ETA

K6ETA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Dave,

I'm part of the South County Unit and have a Raspberry Pi FPAC Node running three different frequencies as a node stack. I just became aware of this thread and it's an odd coincidence that I have accomplished exactly what you're asking for.

My Pi also runs an RMS Gateway for VHF Winlink as well as a full-service BBS (FBB 7.07). These are purely optional of course.

Anyway, if you'd like to discuss, I'm happy to help.

73 de K6ETA

7. KB6YNO

KB6YNO Guest

Dave,
    I believe that you've already been contacted by Steve/K6ETA. He and I are the digital guys for the Sonoma ACS South County Unit. These should work beautifully and completely incorporate what you want to do. Please contact us off list for details.
    Eric, KB6YNO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.