Raspberry Pi Building Project

Discussion in 'RFinderPi - Open Source radio interface based on R' started by KF5RHI, Nov 6, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: l-gcopper
  1. KF5RHI

KF5RHI Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been seeing some cool stuff on-line in various forums having to do with Raspberry Pi and it's kind of got me in a building mood. Now I have no idea as to whether my plan is even doable or not; but here it is...

I was thinking about getting the current Raspberry Pi pairing it up with the Western Digital PiDrive and mounting the whole thing in a Pelican type case along with my FT-8900R and a SignaLink interface. I want to use it for satellite and EmComm stuff. This idea is still in the "I wonder if..." stage

If there are some subject matter experts out there I'd LOVE to hear some ideas or advice...something constructive though...not the usual "...you're a dumb-a**" I already know that. Thank you! :D

K3RW likes this.
  2. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been looking at Raspberry Pi at eBay.

They have complete sets, some built or not: one has a 5" display that lookes "likely" for your project.

3. KF5RHI

Thanks for the tip! I'll check it out!

4. K6LCS

K6LCS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There are imitations out there ... a true Raspberry Pi 3 unit should cost $35-36.

5. KF5RHI

Yeah, I've actually got a couple of Raspberry Pis since I've last posted to this thread. I've got a Pelican 1550 case, the afore mentioned Raspberry Pi (and all it's accessories) and a 10" screen.

The project's been sitting on my workbench since the summer started; but now that things are cooling off here in NTX maybe I can spend some time in the garage working on it without fear of spontaneous combustion.

6. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've got a few Raspberry Pi lying around. I have one setup in my window that runs Flight Aware where it tracks plane transponders and reports them. Though that's just an install of FlightAware's PiAware Raspbian distro on to the R-Pi and attach the RTL-SDR dongle and antenna and letting it rock and roll. Nothing too technical.

I'm still looking to start a project, though I haven't decided exactly what I want my first one to be. Not sure if it will be Pi related or not, but that's always an option.

7. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got a similar set-up, using a Pi2, a 500GB usb hard-drive, a keyboard, power-supply and a 7"touchscreen all contained in a custom case. Mine drives an Icom PCR1000. I use the rig for RDF, spectrum analysis, and just plain old listening. It works extremely well..... and it was cheap to build.