Raspberry Pi ADS-B Receiver

Discussion in 'RFinderPi - Open Source radio interface based on R' started by WL7CG, Aug 9, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WL7CG

WL7CG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good comments. I do need to find a better power supply. Has anyone played with the piaware software much? Speaking of corruption, I'd don't see an obvious way to shutdown the pi, outside of pulling the plug.

2. WL7CG

3. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

I think you can send a command to shut down from the FlightAware page. Other than that, pulling the plug is the only other way I know of.

The only other change I made to the original configuration, after it was up and running, was to change the gain from -10 (auto max), to 44.5 db. This value seems to offer the best results. Check the FlightAware forum for more info.

Just an FYI, Piaware 3.5.1 is not 'officially' released, go with 3.5.0 for now.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a SSH port open so I can control and power it off remotely. Move files too.

It would be nice to have a switch on the box to power the CPU down safe. It is a can do. :)

5. AG7FY

AG7FY Ham Member QRZ Page

Yanking out the power cable is the 'wrong' way of shutting it down. The processor has not stopped running and if anything is being written to the sd card at the time, it's the best way to corrupt the whole thing (not just the file being written). You can shut down a piaware installation from the 'My ADSB' page on the flightaware site. I just SSH into the command line and enter "sudo shutdown now -h". Another option would be to write a small python script that waits for a button press on a GPIO pin, and then runs the shutdown command.

then all is a-ok to pull the power cable. Which will also have to be unplugged and plugged back in to restart. They make a USB micro cable with an inline switch that seems handy.

KA9JLM likes this.
  6. WL7CG

I have had the setup running for a few days now. I live in spot surrounded by mountains, so I know there are performance problems with my QTH. I put the external antenna on the peak of my roof. The roof is metal and I wonder if that's a problem. Seemed like it worked better hanging out the second story window. It is interesting to see the results online.

7. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

Antenna type, and antenna placement, are important factors. It's not too difficult to build a good antenna for ADS-B, but if you are not into it, this one is excellent:

https://www.amazon.com/1090MHz-ADS-...&qid=1503074929&sr=8-4&keywords=ads-b+antenna

It's what I use.

8. WL7CG

Thanks for the reply. That's the external antenna I purchased. It's on the peak of the roof or about 33' AGL. My question is if the metal roof would impact it badly and if a pre-amp might help. 1090MHz is way above what I'm used to using.

9. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

Did you buy the FlightAware dongle? If so, the orange or the blue/black? Either of those already have an amplifier, adding more gain will be counter productive. The blue/black also includes a filter, necessary depending on your RF situation. If you purchased the orange dongle, FlightAware also offers a stand alone filter.

As for the antenna, the one you are using does not benefit from a ground plane. Whether it impairs it, I don't know, but at the frequencies we are dealing with for ADS-B, reflections can be a problem. A filter may be a good way to mitigate it.

10. WL7CG

I bought the FlightAware ProStick+. Maybe it's the roof. I will have to think about an alternative location. Thanks.