ad: ProAudio-1

Raspberry Pi ADS-B Receiver

Discussion in 'RFinderPi - Open Source radio interface based on R' started by WL7CG, Aug 9, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WL7CG

WL7CG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

All,

I just ordered a FlightAware Pro Stick, external antenna and various parts to setup an ADS-B receiver with my Raspberry Pi 3. Has anyone tried this with their RPi? How has it worked for you?

2. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

Yes...same configuration, excellent performance. It's been up for 10 months, no problems of any kind.

73 de Vince, VA3VF

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Same here - works perfectly no issues. Just remember that it's "headless" - you do not get an OS screen to do other stuff. Once you load the Flightaware OS onto the Pi3, that's all the Pi3 will now do for a living :)

Dave
    W7UUU

4. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

True, but you can install other ADS-B feeders. I had Flightradar24 running on the same RPi3 untill last week.

5. WL7CG

Thanks - I didn't know that. An excuse to buy another pi...

W7UUU likes this.
  6. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

I have not tried it myself, but if you install Raspbian first, not the full FlightAware image, you can access the GUI with VNC, and then install just the FlightAware module.

This is how I was doing with another RPi3 and WSJT-X.

W7UUU likes this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I tried that but couldn't get it to work. But I'm hardly a Linux expert - after a few hours of trying, I just let the FlightAware image win. I really have no practical uses for a RPi3 anyway - I got it just to do ADS-B feeding.

Dave
    W7UUU

8. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

I'm in the same 'boat', a try and error expert ;). I had the other RPi3 as a dedicated spot feeder for JT65 and JT9, but after the SD card got corrupted twice, I put it aside.

The FlightAware RPi3 uses a 'plain vanilla' class 10 SD. The WSJT-X was using one of those class 10 'supersonic'. I'm not sure if I got a lemon, or the 'supersonic' variety is not good for this kind of application.

9. WL7CG

I'm still waiting on parts. Ordered everything from Amazon and they broke it into four shipments amongst four different carriers. The last package is supposed to be here Monday.

Has anyone had RFI type problems with their pi? I have mine setup in the same rack with the radio and shack computer. When I start the pi, it takes out reception of everything I can see on JT65/9. I'm going to try putting some distance in with it. It's in a plastic case, maybe a metal one would help.

Suggestions appreciated...

10. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

Are you using the RPi3 to TX? Something like a TAPR WSPR TX shield, for example? I did not notice anything of that sort, and my RPi3 is also in a plastic case.

Distance, and a metal case, are certainly options to explore.