ad: M2Ant-1

Raspberry Pi 4 as ham shack computer

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by NU8J, Aug 7, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NU8J

NU8J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I recently put into service a raspi 4 in the ham shack. I was just wondering how many others are doing the same thing? It is my desktop and seems to run everything just fine. I always watch the diagnostics and I haven't overloaded it yet. With the fan it usually runs around 50-55 c.

2. BG6LH

BG6LH Ham Member QRZ Page

Me too. My RPi is a model B4 4G RAM, as hot as yours, but without a fan. I run it for a 24x7 FT8 signal monitor.

3. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes I do that, too. How much RAM does yours have? Mine is 4Gb. Quite comfortable.

4. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

I built a pi4-based media player into the audio system http://uarl.info/forum/index.php?topic=330.0 and very pleased with the result.

I wanted to ask what programs do you use on pi4 for radio?

My only radio program is N1MM, but is is only for windows.

5. BG6LH

BG6LH Ham Member QRZ Page

I’m using xlog on rpi. CQRLog is another option. But I think is too ‘heavy’ to rpi. It’s good for a Debian based radio station.

6. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Software is the new homebrew. :)

PU2OZT, NU8J, N0NB and 1 other person like this.
  7. N6YWU

N6YWU Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm using a headless (no monitor) Raspberry Pi 4 as a USB device server for my RTL-SDR, SDRPlay RSP2, and AirSpy HF+ SDR receivers, and as as network transcoder for my Hermes Lite 2 SDR transceiver. The Pi 4 is sitting near the radios and antenna feeds. But by using the Pi 4 as a network server, I can listen to these radios over the network with rtl_tcp SDR receiver software running on my iPad or Mac from anywhere that I can get a good network connection.

I'm also homebrewing my own software for both the Raspberry Pi, and for my iOS devices.

I put one of those huge (but fanless) heat sinks that covers the entire top and bottom of the Pi 4 board, but which allows my Pi 4 to run cooler than my Pi 3B+ with just the 2 tiny heatsinks.

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The RPi 4 is a nice little computer.

As long as you are not doing a lot of heavy duty Video Rendering it will work fine.

Most complaints that I have heard about them, Was getting hot and over heating.

9. NU8J

NU8J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would definitely run a fan for using it as a desktop. Still impressed with it. I got the raspi 4 that has 8gb of ram. I use flrig for rig control of my IC 7300. Still having issues getting wjst to run, I am sure it is just user error. I am very impressed. Still a little of a steep learning curve with Linux and learning to run stuff from terminal window.

10. KF5RRF

KF5RRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

After reviewing this video, I picked up one of these Argon One For Raspberry Pi 4 cases off of Amazon for my Raspberry Pi 4 with 8GB RAM. They currently run $25.00.

I have yet to get the fan to kick in. There's several cases that help reduce the heat generated by the Pi 4 and the guy in the video mentions one other. I chose this one because of the cooling the fact that it puts all of the ports on the back along with having an actual power button.