Random email from someone pretending to be KE5KIP

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by K9AZY, Oct 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. K9AZY

K9AZY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Got a random email from this guy this morning tried to look up call sign to inform him but no listed email address I assume this is a scammer using his call sign can someone inform him

2. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't get it...

A 'random email' ? for what purpose? what did he want? Trying to sell you something?

You need to give more complete info.

KA2FIR likes this.
  3. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

KE5KIP is a Verified member and has a couple recent ads.

4. K9AZY

Yes sorry it was an email for a Yaesu ft1000 mkv field for sale

5. K9AZY

This was the email

[posting emails without consent of both parties is not allowed]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2019
  6. K9AZY

I was just saying there was no listed email for me to verify that it was him emailing me cause of course if I reply to the email they are going to say of course it’s him and I didn’t ask for or wasn’t looking for this radio just received an email for it being up for sale and I thought this was the place to ask or list about suspected scams but I guess not I should just assume it’s a real ad from a verified member last time I post here to try to and help a guy out

7. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

You responded to an ad for one.

The email does seem a bit fishy so glad you brought attention.
    @KE5KIP did you send it?

8. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

What on Earth are you p.o.ed about?

Yes... I agree that it's probably a scam.

One thing you can do is to take those photos out of the email and do an 'image search' on the photo itself.

If it's a scammer, he has stolen the photos from the web and an image search can turn up the source of the image.

The reason he targeted you is because you commented on this for sale item:

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/yaesu-ft-1000mkvfield.674751/#post-5209011

The organized crime ring of scammers looks for people posting wanted ads, or appear to have a desire for an item, then they pounce.

KA2FIR likes this.
  9. K2CD

K2CD Ham Member QRZ Page

I think your instincts are good, and your suspicion is right on the money. Thanks for the heads up.

10. K9AZY

sorry about getting upset i just didnt know how to confirm if it was him or not and was just wanting some help and give a heads up to ke5kip and everyone else i did get scammed once and i hope that not one other person has to be