ad: vanity

RAL-6/CRV-46156 Schematics/Manual Needed

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KG4MSR, Jul 2, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KG4MSR

KG4MSR Ham Member QRZ Page

Howdy folks. Hoping someone might have schematics and manual for RAL-6/CRV-46156 on PDF? I've been all over google with a myriad of Boolean searches and although I've turned up schematics, they only show part numbers (and not values). I'm in need of a full manual so I can restore this poor thing. If I'm not mistaken, the RAL-7 might be pretty close as well.

I already found:
    "Operation of Receiver Unit CRV 46156" but it's 21 pages and is missing part values.
    "Model RAK-7 Radio Receiving Equipment" which is good for the power supply but wrong frequency.

Thank you in advance, 72. Mike

2. KJ4YEV

KJ4YEV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

3. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

KG4MSR likes this.
  4. K4NYW

K4NYW Ham Member QRZ Page

KG4MSR likes this.
  5. KG4MSR

Carl - I read the same and found the RAL-8 manual...

...but I have to throw out a double plus good to Nick for the RAL-6 manual. Many thanks Nick!

A good friend of mine saved a RAL-6 and matching power supply from a scrap heap. I got them in trade for repairing a radio of his.

The units are going to need some help cosmetically, are fairly clean inside, but will require some major re-capping before I power them up.

And speaking of capacitors... anyone know a good way to open up those big square capacitors so I can drop in some replacements? I'd like to get these units as close to original as possible. I tried to open one up but it's proving to be a major PITA. I'm thinking it might be easier to buy or build a small metal brake and just fab new capacitor covers from sheet aluminum? Your thoughts?

Another question for you folks familiar with these units: Any real advantage to leaving the HF line filter inline with the mains in the power supply? I know this is supposed to reduce interference to help radio reception, but since the caps in it are surely shot, suspect this will be a safety issue.

72, Mike

6. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Those caps are not electrolytic and may still be good as no money was spared by RCA/Andrea. Mine are still fine as are most other components as these radios were still aboard USN non combat ships well into the 60's......I was on a fleet oiler, tanker to the landlubbers...and they were installed in 45 when the ship was built and were backups in Emergency Radio when I was on her 61-63

That line filter was for shipboard generated electrical noise and there was a LOT of machinery and even arc welders in use.

Removal is your choice, I just left them alone.

Carl

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  7. KG4MSR

Carl,

I don't doubt they spared no expense/used quality components but my set has seen better days/storage conditions.

Visual inspection of the power supply unit found C-204 was leaking all over the place (a nice mix of oil and wax?) The power supply was blowing 5 amp fuses as well, until I removed L-203 from the input (I suspect the caps in it were shot) and C-204. Now the supply runs on a 2 amp fuse with proper voltage out (albeit, not proper filtering.)

Although there are no leaky caps in the radio unit, I am hesitant to leave any of those old things in either the radio or power supply, after seeing the condition of the power supply. (I've also destroyed several hard to get tubes in a TBY-4 set I tried to fix, after a similar experience with those old caps.)

I'd really like to keep the units all original but at this point, I might balance utility over originality since I'm eager to bring in some stations on this set.

72, Mike