Raising a 30' mast and vertical antenna

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KD9KSO, Jun 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD9KSO

KD9KSO Ham Member QRZ Page

What is the easiest and safest way to raise a 30' mast and antenna by myself?

I thought about screwing two 1x4"x 8' together and then two more to the outside of those with a block near the top to cradle the mast as I walk it up. Once vertical it will rest between the house and chimney until I can manuver it into the wall mounts.

I've walked up 20' many times in the past, but I don't think I can do 30' with ten feet of antenna on top.

Any suggestions to do this myself?

WC5P likes this.
  2. KJ4ADN

KJ4ADN Ham Member QRZ Page

Screw in anchor at the base (into the ground), attach that to the antenna (rope & screw eye)- or a hinge. This keeps the base from swinging around.
    I put an eyelet at the highest point I can on the house, and a rope & pulley on that. Run a rope through the pulley, one end on the antenna, the other, either YOU pulling it up, or... a tractor.

To keep it from swinging off to either side, (assuming this is still by-yourself), a couple more eyelets on the house, -or- ground anchors, off to either side, and tie them to the antenna. When you pull in the rope to raise it up, the "guys" on either side will help keep it "centered". If you -weren't- going up against a building, there is another method, but the ground anchors have worked for us.

I really, really, like to have a short "U-channel" bracket at the highest point on the house, pulley behind that, so when it comes up, it goes right into that "U-channel" and sort of locks in place. When I need to lower it, there's the rope...

One other thing, steel pipe is HEAVY. Aluminum pipe is easier to raise and lower, it's lighter.

KJ4ADN - Bill

NH7RO and KD9KSO like this.
  3. N4MTB

N4MTB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I walk up a 42 foot EMT vertical. It's heavy and flexes allot. I try to do it on calm days only.

4. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Buy a Spiderbeam 41' (12mHD) fiberglass pole. I have 2 of them. They handle the elements for years. Light and easy to raise or take down.

KC8VWM and NH7RO like this.
  5. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yikes. I think I'd wear a helmet in that scenario besides waiting for a calm day.

For the OP; ADN kind of nailed it, I will add that securing the base is critical so it doesn't slip away from you. The three ropes idea is great for keeping it centered and from falling to one side (which it is also very prone to do---it's called "Leaning and looking for Murphy" IIRC).

Hope its aluminum and not anything heavier!

6. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess I don't understand what kind of antenna is going on top of this mast.

7. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

It's in his original post: a ten foot vertical

Dave
    W7UUU

8. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, I guess the weight of the antenna would determine if he can use a 30' - 40' telescopic fiberglass pole or not.

Anything that "telescopes" is far easier to raise, but the only drawback is what you put on top.

WQ4G likes this.
  9. KJ4ADN

KJ4ADN Ham Member QRZ Page

Another idea, instead of pulleys and anchors.
    Get about 10' of 1/2" black poly pipe, snake a rope through it, tie one end on the antenna (at a point about equal to the height of the house).
    lay the black pipe (which has a natural curve to it from being rolled up), around the chimney, so you can use the chimney (assume it's brick or something stout), as an anchor.
    The pipe will allow the rope to slide through the pipe, around the chimney without getting cut or hanging up, smoothing out the sharp angle(s).
    Best of all, it'll should pull the mast right up to that spot.

KD9KSO likes this.
  10. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I still like the 41-foot 12mHD Spiderbeam mast idea.

Make your own 10-foot wire antenna for it, and run it from 31 feet on up. Use the raidals taped along guy wires (you don't need a guy, if you attach it at the base, anyway). A wire works just as well as a store-bought antenna. Better than many, if it's built right. I'd probably just make a vertical dipole out of it, anyway. Easier, and probably more efficient. Depends on where you're planning to work.

In the end, you've spent $110 on a working fiberglass mast antenna that's easy to remove or put up. And what's better, on the back end, you'll be able to sell the mast one day, and get money out of it. Not to mention the chance to take it portable and build all kinds of antennas with it.

Put up an unsightly, flimsy metal and wood contraption, and you're more likely to bother neighbors (if that's an issue), and you'll never get anything out of the money you spent for the parts. The mast is a workable solution that is the better buy, in the end.

NH7RO and KC8VWM like this.