Ragged for using FT8 on Field Day!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA6MHZ, Jul 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, license classes have ALWAYS been certificates of achievement. They showed that the licensee achieved a passing grade on the license tests in use at the time.

As for activity, there used to be a requirement for renewal that a licensee "operate" for so many hours in the last so many months of the license term before renewal. But such "operation" could be almost anything, including calling CQ with QRPP and a bad antenna on a dead band. The "activity" requirement was so meaningless and easily met that it was dropped decades ago.

73 de Jim N2EY

2. W7ASA

W7ASA Ham Member QRZ Page

"...calling CQ with QRPP and a bad antenna on a dead band."

Ah! So, you've SEEN my station !

ha ha

73 de Ray ..._ ._

WZ7U and N2EY like this.
  3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Exactly. What would the motivation be for a person to upgrade to Extra if they had no interest in HF?! o_O

4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It is. Of course you have to use some discretion and make it clear there's a job for everybody.

N2EY likes this.
  5. N2EY

I can think of three motivations:

1) Vanity callsign

2) VE qualification

3) No more "when are you going to upgrade?" or "you should upgrade" stuff from others.

73 de Jim, N2EY

KK5JY likes this.
  6. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Did that, got the bruise and the shirt, not taking any guff from anyone; kind of like John Wayne toilet paper. :cool:

N2EY likes this.
  7. K9OO

K9OO Ham Member QRZ Page

We did 2 at a time. We had 3 stations setup, and about a dozen radios available if anything went wrong with one. But for operating, if SSB was running, only one digital guy operated. That is how we caught some time to chat/nap/play with the radios.

Overall it was tiring but a great time.

N2EY likes this.
  8. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Well their reaction makes no sense but if you had fun then you are a winner! Can’t wait for next Field Day when I hope to be back on the air after being radio silent since 2012!

9. N2EY

Category 2A.

Good plan!

Hopefully there were always 2 stations on the air.

Wait till next year!!

73 de Jim, N2EY

10. K9OO

K9OO Ham Member QRZ Page

We didn't always do 2 stations, sometimes they didn't tell us when ssb quit. It was nice for most of the night we could run 2 radios on 20m at the same time without interference. And about 3am we had no new takers on cq or new calls on the bands (ft8) so we shut down for a few hours.

Also, since it isn't really a contest, I spent some time giving tours, showing off antennas, explaining radio propagation to new people, etc. If someone just came to our table, I stopped and showed them how we had it all setup. I had a 20 year old radio setup with rigblaster to the computer - and I showed how it all worked together. Some of these guys have old rigs and didn't know they could do digital modes. The other guy had his 7300 that just plugs in one cable. I wanted to show the old and new tech working together and we talked about some of that. I had an older laptop, he used a surface pro (very portable). Basically we did a lot of contrasts to show guys that they can do it with whatever they have already.

We are already planning next year!

N2EY likes this.