Ragged for using FT8 on Field Day!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA6MHZ, Jul 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not at all. Part of the game.

At least a thousand.

Maybe. There was no requirement of actually operating back when I got my Extra, except to renew a license. In fact, "back then", someone could walk into an FCC office, pass all the tests for Advanced, toss the Advanced in a drawer for two years, go back to the FCC office and pass the Extra tests, and get an Extra without ever having been on the air at all. I don't know anyone who did that, but it was possible. And a few years after I got my Extra, it became possible to go from no license to Extra in one exam session.

What changed things was the repeater boom of the 1970s-80s, which caused most new hams to start out on VHF/UHF rather than HF.

K8BZ likes this.
  2. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm glad that you have a great group and good participation in your FD operation and other club activities. I am far from being a fanatic insisting that everyone be out for blood in their FD operation. But some operation would be nice. After three FD's with 2 different clubs and almost no operating to speak of I did give up on the club FD's and myself and a few other like minded hams held our own. We had a great time and made lots of contacts and lots of bonus points. We still had great food and conversation. All hams were welcome and encouraged to come and set in and operate. And I'm sure the clubs didn't miss me at their operation. In fact one of the clubs just stopped having FD.

N2EY likes this.
  3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A successful Field Day is operating, sure, but also socializing, public outreach, and an emergency test. A balance of those things is the secret. :)

N2EY likes this.
  4. N2EY

Also finding the right people.

N2SR likes this.
  5. K9OO

K9OO Ham Member QRZ Page

The "digital guys" did all the digital obviously. Also did the 2m contacts (one from pretty far away!) and about 25 of the phone contacts. AND we managed some sleep Sat night. :)

Total Contacts by Band and Mode:

Band CW Phone Dig Total %
    ---- -- ----- --- ----- ---
    160 0 0 2 2 0
    80 0 0 75 75 11
    40 0 11 127 138 21
    20 0 189 199 388 58
    15 0 14 41 55 8
    10 0 0 5 5 1
    6 0 0 6 6 1
    2 0 2 0 2 0
    -- ----- --- ----- ---
    Total 0 216 455 671 100

edit - that formats great on my screen, just not posting well - says 216 phone, 455 digital

N2EY likes this.
  6. N2EY

In the chair and on the air!

How many transmitters?

73 de Jim, N2EY

7. K2CAJ

K2CAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Absolutely. License classes have never been certificates of achievement or proof of activity. We have awards for that.

The sole purpose of a license is to grant someone the power to transmit, and the test only needs to determine that one can do so responsibly.

That being said, I had a much easier time upgrading because I spent time on the air, and in particular homebrewing antennas.

8. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

EVERY club that’s been around for a while has a couple of Those Guys.

Heck, I remember a few of them from my original NJ club, always sitting in the back of the meeting doing their thing. That was back in 1972.

Just do what the (then) W2MO club leadership did back in the day. Ignore them.

W4NNF and N2EY like this.
  9. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

No, it’s an absurd question, even today,

10. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Me thinks it's time to find another club.

KS4W, KK5JY and N2EY like this.