ad: elecraft

Ragged for using FT8 on Field Day!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA6MHZ, Jul 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Now THAT is a wonderful word... "duchebaggery" I love it. May I please use it sometime in the future?

I'm serious; it is fantastic!!!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  2. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Our club had a great turnout and no bs about various modes. Ran SSB phone, cw and FT8 without any complaints. I didn't hear any complaints about any particular mode. Only complaint was about the electrical lines causing rf hash, but we figured out real fast to relocate the antennas. The old TS430 ran 20 meter FT8 just fine as well as 20 meter SSB phone and 40 meter phone.

K8BZ and W4NNF like this.
  3. K9OO

K9OO Ham Member QRZ Page

15 meters kicked butt Sun morning. I was averaging 46+ per hour for ft8 contacts on 15m that day. We had a 2 operator station, so when ssb left, two of us ran most of the night with ft8. We landed just south of 500 contacts. The guy on the 39ft endfed running 40m was hard to keep up with. I ran 20 and 15 on a beam. Part of the way through, I did some ssb just because I was tired of clicking buttons and everyone else was asleep. Caught everyone calling cq on 20m and went back to ft8.

4. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

What I found on FT8 was a couple of 500 kc wide signals by those running 1.5 kw amplifiers. weak signal mode ... NOT... Never will be.

I really didn't realize anyone operated from the field on Field Day. It's just a cookout for the club I belong to. No one sets up anything except a charcoal grill. Even they use gas now. Charcoal is just too much trouble.

The only thing I have ever seen operated at field Day is a beer opener and a spatula to flip the burnt hamburgers. So, I stopped going to the club field day and now my wife and I go primitive camping with our radio's a couple of Bioenno batteries and a roll up solar collector. We also take a couple of straight keys courtesy of MFJ.

Our field day is not a contest for anyone but us. We compete against each other; it's fun.

5. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Can't say I've ever seen anything like that!!!!

6. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Neither did I nor have I ever. Oh, you can see a few signals that aren't what they oughta be but 500 kHz (sorry, kc :rolleyes: )? And two of them? No. I suspect the problem was the receiver, the sound card, or the way they were set up and operated.

As I said, if somebody doesn't like the way a particular group operates, they shouldn't operate with them. I would bet that would make both parties very happy. ;)

7. K9OO

K9OO Ham Member QRZ Page

Little late to the party, but I'll add my 0.02. Our CW guy is now a SK. Me and friend are no-code extras. We can do code with the computer if needed, but there are faster methods. So we figured psk and ft8. He started ft8, I started psk. He had 30 before I had 3. So I searched all the psk frequencies and saw not enough guys to make a go of it. So i swapped out to FT8.

We had people all over our field day tent, but they all seemed to stop at our area and stay. We shared a table, maybe 7 feet long. Each of us had setup two rigs, a laptop and extra monitor, tuners, power supplies, rotator, etc. And we were kicking butt on on the contacts. We called cq and had a 'field day'. It was the first time our club ran a digital side. We quadrupled the ssb scores just because we were committed and ran it. SSB wasn't run that much or they would have killed us for numbers. No one wanted to run a pileup though go figure.

All in all, a great experience and I will do it again.

To those who don't like ft8... well I don't watch daytime tv, but some do. There are channels for everyone, just keep spinning that dial if you don't like it.

W4NNF likes this.
  8. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How many QSOs did your group actually make, by band/mode?

9. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

And you weren't flummoxed after 3 attempts to make an HF contact. Let me ask you, had you made any HF contacts at all before you became an Extra? That would have been an absurd question back when you became an Extra. Today it's not an absurd question at all.

KP4SX likes this.
  10. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Good Job! Nice to hear. I know there are lots of areas where there are skilled club members doing a great job mentoring the newbies and doing lots of great things. Keep up the good work.