Rag Chewing?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W8IXI, Feb 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah... what is it with this "we" business I hear all the time? My ham brother-in-law, an Iowan, is famous for using "we" instead of "I."
    I don't get it... it's rather unnerving.

2. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

Midwesterners use it a lot. I have no idea why.

NL7W likes this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Back ages ago this was addressed in QST/73/CQ - I forget which - where the cartoon character replied that whenever he used the term "we" he meant himself and his tapeworm :eek:

Dave
    W7UUU

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    N4NYK and NL7W like this.
  4. W8IXI

W8IXI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the responses, which have been very interesting.

It has at least been a discussion. I am getting the impression that anything longer than name, rank, and serial number (so to speak) qualifies as rag chewing today.

From my own experience tonight, I have had five hf qso's of which at least four were rag chewing under the new definition. That's rag chewing today.

73, Mike

5. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

But "The Dude" said it best....

WZ7U likes this.
  6. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

rag chewing: is just a QSO between 2 or more hams about anything and everything or random QSO’s with people you may or may know.

7. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

As long as it doesn't involve grease soaked, gasoline tainted rags I'm all for chewing them.

8. W8IXI

It was a good run for me tonight. I had some good qso's which some would define as "rag chewing" with fellow hams. It's the total avoidance of any of that which is new to me.

In at least four out of five qso's tonight, I easily found common ground with the other ham and had a conversation. It's not that difficult. Most hams have a lot in common.

The purposeful avoidance of most of that still surprises me. Too bad.

73, Mike

9. W8IXI

Then why are you here? To learn that basic human stuff? "Tactical"? You immediately come across as a whacker or prepper. I'd like to hear more on this topic. You have the floor.

10. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Nightly I sit by the rig and talk to friends. We all use vox so conversations sound like we're all in the same room. Topics are as varied as motorcycles, airplanes, rigs, building amps, current events, families...

Hams need to learn again the art of conversation. If you're interested, here is a good start. Don't be in a two way one way monologue. https://www.essentiallifeskills.net/the-art-of-conversation.html

W7ASA, WZ7U and W8IXI like this.