Rag Chewing?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W8IXI, Feb 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Funny...you sure SOUND disturbed. Have you ever considered stamp collecting as an alternative to all those poorly-spoken and wrong thinking 5-9 contester hams? I am frankly amazed you put up with us. o_O

WZ7U likes this.
  2. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Ragchew contacts are fun. Same song and dance every time...

th.jpeg

WN1MB likes this.
  3. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

Jerry , WE , have two extras, one general, three HF stations, three mobiles, 11tyseven portables, 5 HF antennas, two boys, two dogs, and five cats in the house.

It's rarely I and mostly WE so when appropriate a distinction has to be made :rolleyes:

4. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Something that you will probably not find me doing. ;-) Pleasantries, chit chat, small talk...all things I'm very bad with.

Seriously, to me a ragchew is any QSO that's non-tactical (e.g. not traffic handling, formal or informal) and extends beyond the minimum components required for a QSO, to wit: exchange of call signs and one other piece of information, and, is not in a contest exchange. So, basically to me, all DX pileup QSOs, all contest QSOs, all WSJT-X QSOs, and all ARES/RACES/SKYWARN/NTS net traffic are not ragchews, and almost all other QSOs are.

Special event station QSOs are in a gray zone; they're generally short & quick, but when at the SES and running a frequency I've often given a little bit of info about the special event every few QSOs. But to me as a SES operator, I'm trying to work as many other stations as possible - much like a contest, so...even though there's extraneous info sent, it's not really a ragchew in my mind.

5. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Most hams are of good character and intelligent. I find that AMers are about the few worth listening to.

N3AB, N7ZAL, W4NNF and 1 other person like this.
  6. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

AM
    This mode is all about rag-chewing and roundtables.
    I've never heard the quick 59/73 type exchanges on AM, even in the
    rallies and events.
    Rag-chew Award? Some ops could qualify for that in one transmission.
    Burt, I would like to "chew the rag" with you on AM, we could then talk about
    the "Zed" on the radio, instead of radio on the "Zed"?
    AD5HR, Jon

7. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Given the frequent lament that there are few who want to rag chew, may I suggest making your calls more specific, e.g. "CQ Rag Chew"? I'm sure this will attract attention and better results! b.

N4NYK likes this.
  8. AB8MA

AB8MA Subscriber QRZ Page

It is interesting to hear you say that. How did that make you feel? o_O

9. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

10. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting on a partial quote you try to deceive.
    In the past I saw you say at the beginning of a sentence, "I don't think...." I should have just quoted that.

N3AB likes this.