ad: IACantenna-1

Rag Chewing?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W8IXI, Feb 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. W8IXI

W8IXI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

To you, what defines 'rag chewing"?

I have always had the idea that it was a QSO that maybe ran 30 minutes or so. Maybe more, maybe less, but it was a rag chew.

Full disclosure:
    I have logged thirty minute or longer qso's on cw, ssb, digital, and VHF FM. I consider that ragchewing.

When PSK arrived a while ago, there was some discussion that it was just macros and it was popular in part because it eliminated the rag chew. More recently with the advent of FT-8, some of it's advocates seem to see it as the welcome end of the rag chew. But what is a ragchew? Is it anything longer than 60 seconds? Is it 30 minutes? What do you think?

Thanks, 73 Mike

2. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

I got my RCC certificate back in the Novice days. I think it required 30 minutes. Many of my Novice contacts took 30 minutes without trying!

N4NYK, NL7W, KQ9J and 2 others like this.
  3. N7ZAL

N7ZAL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't know about today, but back in the 50s my Dad would chat every night with 6 meter locals for a long, long while. Not during openings though.

I used to rag chew a bit on CW but today none.

4. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Anytime you are having an actual conversation with someone and just exchanging basic information and moving on I would consider ragchewing.

N4NYK, KM6CND, AG6QR and 1 other person like this.
  5. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

A conversation, length of time isn't as important as having a conversation. What I consider a good ragchew is finding common ground to talk about.

WZ7U and W2AI like this.
  6. KC3JIN

KC3JIN Ham Member QRZ Page

When I pass by a QSO on the air and think, "no way I'm gonna be around to tail-end this one" it's a ragchew :)

Honestly though, past the initial small talk stage, or past interview-style questions and into relating.

7. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

Rag chews can be some of the most entertaining and enlightening QSO's to be heard on amateur radio, IMO. Now, get a round table rag chew going........ :)

AD5HR and W4IOA like this.
  8. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

To me, a ragchew is when a Q goes beyond the formalities of RST/QTH/name, and heads off in any direction. Often it is WX, which leads to outdoor activities (gardening, skiing, vacations). QTH often leads to discussion of whether we've been to or near the area, if we have friends or relatives there, etc. Rig and antenna descriptions are par for the course.

Time is not usually the measure. Two good CW ragchewers who can do 30 wpm and know how to use abbreviations can say a lot in 10 minutes. Somebody on 'phone who has to repeat everything and insert "um" and "ahhhhh" every third word can take 10 minutes to give you the time of day.

It's all good.

K8MHZ likes this.
  9. N5PAR

N5PAR Ham Member QRZ Page

You forgot QSL, roger that, operating conditions, first personal, and referring to ones self as we when you really mean I.

KN1M and N2EY like this.
  10. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

Now that stuff is downright painful to listen to and warrants exercise of the big knob. It's part of what that guy in 6 land is always harping about.