Radiogram???

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KJ7UMK, Feb 25, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
  1. KL7LU

KL7LU Ham Member QRZ Page

If it's Aunt Tillie or Cousin Bob sending a birthday greeting, or maybe someone who knows a ham who thought it would be fun to send a radio greeting card instaed of one bought at a drug-store card display, they provided your phone number to the originator.

W0FS and KM8V like this.
  2. W2SGM

W2SGM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Forgive me if I'm off-base, but I don't think it's a stretch to say people are sensitive about privacy issues because marketers can and do abuse the trust placed in them by repeatedly selling their usage profiles.

Perhaps database scraping is not what is happening here, and I would be interested to hear more details if the original author decided to follow up on the request.

3. K4CUA

K4CUA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This thread amazes me -- what a frustrating and terrifying world some of us must live in today.

Someone wants to deliver a one-way message, not asking for anything in return, and it bothers or irritates or scares the recipient. “I want to deliver a message to you . . . .” isn’t the same as “I want your information or your money.”

Call back, and hang up if it’s not legit. Maybe you'll actually make a friend.

If we had a freeze locally like Texas just did, where cell phones were out for days (so I’ve read), one or two messages might actually get through and help or comfort someone. Or it might just be fun, like receiving a telegram, a letter, or a greeting card. It might be the only excitement someone has had in a long time, or will ever have.

BTW, traffic doesn’t depend on the NTS. There’s nothing stopping a ham from sending a message locally. That could be useful in a local emergency (or non-emergency), and it doesn’t have to be sent via CW. “Hey, Joe, power and phones are out -- can you call or walk two doors down and tell Mom the tornado passed me by?”

As soon as I get my station back up and running in a week or two, I plan to find a traffic net and send a message to my ailing Dad (former ham due to age, illness, and hearing loss) something like “DAD X HOPE YOU ARE WELL X THX FOR THE RADIO WORKS GREAT X LOVE YOU X KB3GDD.” Someone will probably deliver it to his door, and be invited in for one of Mom’s fantastic meals and a nice conversation.

If the message gets through, he’ll be thrilled beyond all reason and keep the message posted on the refrigerator until it turns yellow. The ham delivering the message will be blessed also.

KL4BT, W0FS, KX4O and 5 others like this.
  4. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

If that's how you inquire about your ailing dad, you might consider buying him a phone and call him to ask.

N0DZQ likes this.
  5. KC3PBI

KC3PBI Ham Member QRZ Page

Shortly after receiving my first license, I got a radiogram on paper in first class mail from a ham unknown to me living a couple of towns over who had copied it via HF from somebody in Minnesota who'd taken it upon herself to randomly welcome me to the hobby.

When it showed up I couldn't decide if it was a straight up scam, or recruitment by some kind of fringe religion or illicit trafficking operation.

I showed it to some guys from the local club and they managed to convince me that it was a harmless ham thing that just isn't welcomed or properly understood anymore.

W0FS and PU2OZT like this.
  6. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's just it. The debate we're seeing here is another generational thing. What was plenty acceptable a generation ago is now viewed negatively.
    So it goes.

KE5OFJ and PU2OZT like this.
  7. KC3PBI

KC3PBI Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm old enough to remember how things were, adaptive enough to know it can't be that way anymore, and compassionate enough to share your sense of loss over it.

KX4O, W2SGM and WZ7U like this.
  8. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It doesn't bother me. I haven't received a telegram or radiogram in decades! I haven't lost anything. What's with the snark?

9. N0DZQ

N0DZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Truth be told... I am.

PU2OZT likes this.
  10. N0DZQ

N0DZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don’t think it is a generational issue so much but more of a WTH moment. No one on this forum would grouse about a receiving a legitimate radiogram (at least I hope not) however, when it comes to traffic nets resorting to passing “hi, how are you” messages for training/numbers... they truly have outlived their usefulness. Especially if they can’t deliver it in person and resort to a canned phone message.