Radiogram???

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KJ7UMK, Feb 25, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why is everything "creepy" to this young generation? Grow a backbone.

Nothing invasive about receiving a Radiogram via phone or mail. Your license is public information.

I got a Radiogram upon my initial licensing as a Novice, on "Official" ARRL yellow form! Neato! A warm welcome to being a licensed ham.

Of course, I was tipped off about my callsign, because The Little Print Shop sent me a sample pack of QSL cards with my callsign first. He was really on the ball and beat the FCC and the Radiogram. ;)

N4CKC, W5TTP, KE5OFJ and 6 others like this.
  2. W0JKT

W0JKT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am signed up for notice every 10 years when license needs to renew, think its ARRL forget. But I don't want a phone call it comes by regular mail, or email would be fine.

I am a very busy person between active business, hamming, news junkie, and many interests if I don't recognize a call from caller ID I usually just let it go to voicemail. I do not want to be interrupted by the usual spam calls. If I pick up the most aggravating is the Robo dialers that don't have a live person within 5 seconds and I hang up.

I hate "how are you". What a silly ask when they could care less. I usually respond "What are you trying to sell me." And quickly let them speak a few lines and say "Thanks, not interested" CLICK. I have no time to waste talking to those trying to sell me the next best wonderful thing I 'have to have"

W0FS likes this.
  3. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually they could.

W0FS and K4TTJ like this.
  4. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You might receive a Radiogram once in your life upon getting an initial license. That part is certainly not intrusive. We might get hundreds or even thousands of unsolicited QSL cards in time. I wouldn't consider them intrusive. Or catalogs, and other ephemera. Just guys trying to earn a living.

I guess it's the part about getting the anonymous phone call that makes it somewhat intrusive, and I can sorta side with that to a small degree. There are so many scams afoot that it might have been more reasonable had the caller identified themself. Then there's the question of how did they obtain the telephone number? Is it or has it ever been publicly listed? Is it a Cell Phone? These are unknowns. They do ask for a daytime telephone number on Form 605, but I do not know if it is ethical for a third party other than the FCC (such as the VEC) to use that number for other than an issue with the paperwork, or other official business that might effect the processing of the application. There's no way on the form to opt out of receiving unsolicited communications, probably because it has never been a big issue. I understand in the near future that an email address on the application will no longer be optional, as it has been for decades. Is that an avenue for more intrusion? Me, I personally do not care. Others may feel differently.

W0FS likes this.
  5. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

...and probably do care less.

Try "I was doing fine until the phone rang. Now what are you selling?"

AA4MB and K0UO like this.
  6. KM8V

KM8V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I bet you're fun at parties.

W0FS and KQ9J like this.
  7. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The National Traffic System and ham radio Radiograms, used to be real messages, to and from real people that served a real purpose. That was a number of years ago before before nation wide telephone cell service was available without toll call charges for "long distance" calls. It in fact was even used by the US Marine Corp to send messages to family members to advise that their relative arrived safely at the Marine Corp recruit depot in San Diego or Paris Island.

Even though the NTS still exists today, it's more of a hobby type activity some hams enjoy, where they originate and relay messages usually from hams, to hams, that don't have any real service to the non-ham citizenry. The originators scour data bases for hams birthday's, upgrades, new licenses etc. just to have a reason to send a radiogram. There are probably still some incentives (Look up brass pounder league) for hams to originate message that used to serve the non-ham community. But today it's just ham to ham traffic for the sake of traffic creation, or some would say training and maintaining the capability.

The traffic nets are actually quite efficient, especially the CW nets. But it's a real stretch now a days to identify a time in recent history where they fulfilled a real need. Saying so in the certain ham radio circles would subject one to a lot of contradicting opinions. The operators and what still exists of the infrastructure of the system are quite impressive. But at the same time, cause confusion and possibly annoyance to those that don't know or appreciate the history of its past.

KM8V likes this.
  8. W0JKT

W0JKT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Most of the traffic nets (SSB 80m) I once in a while check into have never heard any actual "traffic" of messages but just a gathering place and how many check-ins can get on the log. Not any ragchewing and can be listening and doing other tasks at the same time.

Also, check into the YLISSB nets rarely. Often the net control is amazed at my low membership number -5242. A few days ago asked when I got that low member number. Have no idea other than the mid-1960s best guess. I really like nets that use the net logger software so can see who is on from where - sometimes 40-80 folks logged in.

Then there are nets for working all states all bands or grids etc. Long ago had walls full of awards but all info lost in many moves and not really interested in starting over. I was an active county hunter and got to about 2800 but CQ doesn't have the old records from a ham that ran it after he died.

9. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

So, how did they get your phone number since it's outside the public license info?

AA4MB likes this.
  10. W2SGM

W2SGM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe it is because they are among the first to have the majority of their life activities recorded in and monetized by marketing dossiers compiled from their purchases, time spent online, and even simply moving about in a world of technology. Like sausage-making, some may be more comfortable to avoid seeing what's usually hidden. When encountering a reminder of that digital omniscience (benign as it may be), it's uncanny and unsettling, and since most people don't care about you, unsolicited "greetings" usually carry a self-serving purpose.