Radioddity GA-510 10 Watt HT Review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5ATA, Jan 21, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K5ATA

K5ATA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Radioddity has a 10 watt handheld out. They sent me one to look at and test out. It's actually a decent little radio, and that little bit of extra power seemed to help making it into the repeater in our rural environment.

2. KA8VNG

KA8VNG Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a lot of power.

KK4HPY likes this.
  3. KD9AUY

KD9AUY Ham Member QRZ Page

Why would you want 10 watts next to your head?

GOLDWING48, NI4Y, N4EYZ and 6 others like this.
  4. G0WXU

G0WXU Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a BAOFENG GT-3TP. Approx 6 watts O/P. On first try out I was told that my audio was very low. Not good. I made up a mic pre - amp and used a home brew desk mic with the handheld. Got a lot better report back with that. With a Dual band collinear base antenna I could open the local 70cm repeater up at 26 miles and a 2m one up at 20 or so miles. I should have sent it back to China and claimed for a replacement in the first place has it was a no go on its own as a hand held radio. The review you have done on the Radioactivity looks good so I will give one a try. Thanks for the video. 73 de John - G0WXU.

GOLDWING48 likes this.
  5. W5NM

W5NM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey,

Listen up everyone!!!!!!!! Never key up a handheld radio next to your eyes and brain with power levels above 1 watt in the UHF range.
    I worked for US Army Laboratories and R.F. test facilities where a 5 watt Uhf Handie Talkie puts over 200 volts per meter (V/M) in the middle
    of your eyeball at the distances most people use to to communicate with a talkie.... This is way over the Federal Governments PEL or
    Permissible Exposure Limits. These levels do instant damage to your eyes and is irreversible. Who knows what these levels do to your brain
    Tests showed that low levels at VHF frequencies were not as dangerous but were still of great concern. So, please use an external mic and
    an antenna placed farther away if possible.

Carmine W5NM

GOLDWING48, W7SJP, KD9AUY and 7 others like this.
  6. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Roger that, in fact if it is over 7 watts the FCC MPE rules state it is not exempt it even if it is PPT see OET65

7. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you really mean 5 watts or are there some zeros missing?
    I don't buy it. If that was true then I would have been blind or dead a long time ago.

GOLDWING48 and N3AB like this.
  8. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Watch out for 5G coming to a street corner near you.

9. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Exactly my thoughts. Height not power is king for mobile vhf/uhf. That power will just run the battery down faster and make your hand hot.

GOLDWING48, KD9AUY and KA2FIR like this.
  10. WA5MD

WA5MD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"Radi-oddity"?
    Isn't that a strange brand name for a company trying to sell to the US market?
    That doesn't exactly evoke a positive brand image in my mind.
    Who do these Chinese companies consult with about marketing and branding?

GOLDWING48 and KA2FIR like this.