RADIOBERRY - HF SDR TRANSCEIVER PI HAT

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M0DQW, Jul 29, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VU2LID

VU2LID Ham Member QRZ Page

Radioberry is remarkable for what it does for that price. It is FPGA based direct up/down conversion transceiver board that fits on top of a Raspberry Pi. There are versions of firmware which can be used for decoding FT8 concurrently on 8 bands. There is a very active discussion group:

https://groups.google.com/g/radioberry

Discussion group on Hermes Lite (Radioberry is based on Hermes Lite):

https://groups.google.com/g/hermes-lite

SparkSDR works well with the above:

https://www.sparksdr.com/

M1WML and WD5GWY like this.
  2. WB8LZR

WB8LZR Ham Member QRZ Page

I see a listing on amazon for about 150 bucks. Is the hand soldering worth that much LOL ?

M1WML likes this.
  3. N6ALT

N6ALT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great stuff. I already have a Hermes Lite II but this just forced me to buy a Radioberry to go with my new Raspberry Pi 4, we can never have enough radios.

Joel
    N6ALT

M1WML likes this.
  4. KN4ODM

KN4ODM Ham Member QRZ Page

Got one from Amazon for ~$120 looks like the price is going up :( Got it working with RP4 using SDR console on a windows VM. Looks like a neat project to play around with. Enjoy the tech minds content.

5. W2UA

W2UA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Seems to be out of stock at both Amazon and AlienExpress!

6. KJ7UBV

KJ7UBV Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

This looks like a fun project and I’ve got a spare pi 4 sitting around. :)

7. K3RW

K3RW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm wondering, how would you use a microphone with it?

Run it through the RPi4 via either a GPIO or USB microphobe with PTT?

Looks from at least the Amazon description that its for the RPi4.

8. KN4ODM

I am using it like in the TechMinds video in the first post. The board has to be connected to a raspberry pi. I have a pi4. Once you install the software and reboot the pi, think of it as a radio "Server" you can connect to with a PC running SDR console. I installed the SDR program on the PI but have not got this to work yet. I have only done listening but SDR console supports TX it would use the microphone selected on your PC. This board as it is puts out very little power you need a pre-amp board to be able to drive a larger amplifier.

K3RW likes this.
  9. K3RW

K3RW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for that. 100mW is more than sufficient drive for some of my transverters. I may do this as an experiment.

10. KN4ODM

I was able to get pihpsdr to run on the RP4 that is connected to the Radioberry. Seems the issue was I needed to select "No Controller" on the pull down before starting once the board was detected.