Radio vintage : Navy Type SE-1420 - IP-501 ( year 1920 ).

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by IW2BSF, Nov 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They did really well with what they had...but....remember:

1) They didn't have that much to choose from

2) The requirements were very basic

3) What we see is the finished product - not the breadboards, prototypes, and revisions which led to it.

4) It is common to credit one or two people as the "designers" of something. Sometimes that's even true. But often there was a whole team of good people working on a project, each of whom contributed something.

5) Look at what they cost in today's dollars.

73 de Jim, N2EY

2. K5VZD

K5VZD Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was in about the 9th grade my mentor w8jay, gave me an old hallicrafters sx16, it had a metal dial similar to this. SK, He sure is missed..
    I used it all thru high school, that was about 1962. tks for the memories.

3. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you interested in another SX-16? Im starting to thin the herd.

Carl

4. K5VZD

K5VZD Ham Member QRZ Page

e-mail to
    birddogs2@sbcglobal.net

5. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

TALKING ABOUT OLD STUFF!!! A friend of my "ELMER" back in 1962 sold me his HALLICRAFTERS SX-28A for $69 $$$ and listening to the well used shortwave broadcast bands THEN the sensitivity and AUDIO FIDELITY OF THAT RX WAS AMAZING!!! So even though I'm going completely Solid state NOW the GOOD OL'DAYS WERE EXACTLY THAT!!!

6. KJ7WT

KJ7WT Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree - my point was that some very nice (relatively speaking) gear was designed with tools that, by modern standards, would seem fairly primitive. I liken this to aircraft technology. The raw performance of some of the early jet fighters compares very favorably to modern aircraft. Yes, we have better engines, better avionics, etc. but we made some amazing aircraft in the 50's and 60's, the SR-71 and U-2 being just a couple of examples.
    I am not sure of the context of items 3 and 4, as those comments are true of pretty much every complex product.
    As far as item 5 - you bet! Today's gear is incredibly cheap from the standpoints of cost/income and cost/feature. I still get a kick out of getting old tube gear operating, but modern gear is cheaper, smaller, lighter, and packed with amazing features. There is a Facebook group that has a bunch of old ham radio ads. If you take the prices shown and adjust for inflation, you'll see how comparatively expensive commercial ham gear used to be, which was one reason why homebrew was much more popular. Also, as I discovered, old TV sets had a wealth of components that could be used to build ham gear, especially power transformers and a variety of vacuum tubes, especially sweep tubes, and old radios had tuning capacitors that could be re-purposed for a variety of gear. Modern electronics is much less usable in this regard.
    Dave, KJ7WT
    Dave, KJ7WT

KD2ACO likes this.