Radio Stuck in Transmit?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KN3O, Aug 28, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, there are stereo and mono adapters and I'm guessing you need mono...check the manual.

You'll get it all figured out, I'm sure.

2. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

3. KN3O

KN3O Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the help everyone. I made a qso today on 40 with a gentleman in Buffalo. It seems I'm getting out no problem which is good. I was worried I had an issue somewhere in the radio. My receive still isn't up to snuff and I butchered that QSO, but I was also unprepared to get a response to my cq as I had called it about 20 times by that point, about 3 tries then shifting frequencies (the slow cw frequency was dead fwiw).

Anyways, thanks for answering my newbie questions. I love the feel of the Nye Speed-X I picked up, and my transmit speed is ok, just have to get the receive speed up.

4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a few newer rigs that need stereo connectors for headphone and key connections and a mono plug shorts the works out.

5. WA7DU

WA7DU Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately, the OP never answered the question of which plug and adapter he is using--stereo or mono. Un-plugging the adapter slightly is not a good permanent solution.

Stuck in neutral...

6. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

What you were looking for in the user manual was the diagram on page nine of how the key plug should be wired. Don't get a false sense of reassurance because it is "working" if the power output seems low; there may be some relays that are not being switched properly with the plug pulled halfway out. Stop using it that way, look in the user's manual, and wire it up right before something is inadvertently damaged.

W5BIB likes this.
  7. W8ZNX

W8ZNX Ham Member QRZ Page

Ahoy

K8JD is right

check xceiver manual

some xceivers you must use a stereo plug for straight key

if you plug in a straight key with a mono plug in to a FT-920
    it will go in lock down CW

in the stacks
    mac

VK5EEE likes this.