Radio Stuck in Transmit?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KN3O, Aug 28, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KN3O

KN3O Ham Member QRZ Page

I just got a cw key in the mail. Went to give it a spin, plugged the key (Nye speed-x), turned the radio to cw, and was met with a constant tone. Followed the user manual which didn't have many steps to using the radio in CW mode, not sure what the problem is. Tried changing the radio to mox,vox,ptt, turning up and down the carrier, etc. I have the radio set to manual for the keyer, so that isn't the problem. Thanks in advance.

2. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

It is OK if the key is unplugged? If so, it could be a short of the wires, connector, etc.

3. KN3O

KN3O Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes when unplugged no problems. I have to use a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter to get the key plugged into the radio, could this be the issue?

4. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like a bit of R.f. in the shack. Try it with a dummy load

5. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

Take the radio out of the equation for a moment. Use a continuity tester across the terminals of the key. If it shows continuity, the problem is in the key itself. Is the landline switch closed? Move that little knob over to the right as far as it will go. Are the contacts opening up? Loosen the contact adjustment screw until the key moves up and down enough for you to see daylight between the contacts. If it's not that, then start looking for a short in the cable or somewhere else in the key.

It could. Especially if you're mixing and matching stereo versus mono cables/adapters. A continuity tester will be your friend to figure this out.

6. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Does it have a 'bypass' lever? If so, make sure it's not in bypass.

ETA It looks like the correct term is 'shorting bar'. A holdover from the wire telegraph days.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  7. KN3O

KN3O Ham Member QRZ Page

I unplugged the adapter slightly and now have a working key. The radio is not showing much power output now however when transmitting, no level of carrier adjustment changes this.

8. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd get the proper adapter to solve the initial problem.

What type of rig are you using?

9. KN3O

KN3O Ham Member QRZ Page

FT-901DM. The previous owner used it exclusively for CW so it should work for that mode, if nothing else. I need to bring it to an elmer or the club QTH and get some hands on help.

10. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If your xcvr uses a mono plug,... make sure that BOTH plugs are MONO.

Steve