ad: M2Ant-1

Radio signals on pain reduction implant

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KA8ZAW, Jul 11, 2018 at 1:04 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA8ZAW

KA8ZAW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello. This may sound like an odd question but it is a real problem in the eyes of my wife. Several weeks ago, in order to deal with pain resulting from bad L2,3,4 and 5 vertibra, she had a Boston Scientific freelink pain management device installed in her back. This unit is designed to interrupt the regular pain signals to the brain by overriding this signal with one that blocks the pain. A wire goes up her spine from the transmitter with the other end located next to l2 under the skin's surface. It really works well but she now states she hears people talking and buzzing in her ears. This is no joke, as my wife has no sense of humor and is dead serious. Is this possible? I remember hearing of someone who got a new filling and heard Radio Moscow. Any ideas, please? .Thanks, Jeff. KA8ZAW

2. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Lucille Ball was on a talk show one time and told a story about receiving radio stations with her filling. Humorous, but highly doubtful.

Ask her doctor or call the manufacturer. They deal with this device every day. Asking hams for medical advice is an unreliable source.

K8MHZ and WD4ED like this.
  3. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

If you have a nearby high power broadcast station, this can happen.
    The WBZ broadcast station in Hull, Ma. was heard in many metal things around the area.
    Many plumbing systems & baseboard heaters resonated.
    Anything Panasonic could only listen to WBZ 1040AM.

Ed

4. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

More than 50 years ago, I knew a ham who lived about 1.5 miles from the 50 KW WOR-AM transmitter in N.J. (710 KHz) He did not have a serious problem with his ham equipment (mostly VHF) but heard their signal in a metal decorative arrangement on his fireplace mantel. Rearranging the pieces fixed the problem.
    Tom WA4ILH

5. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

As others have mentioned, talking to the doctor and device manufacturer is a better source of medical information. But I would do some investigation to help them.

If she can hear voices, then it seems to me that the most likely culprit would be an AM broadcast station. Of course, if she can make out words, then just wait for the station ID. But if she can't really make out what they're saying, she can probably still identify it.

With a pair of headphones, listen to the strongest AM stations in your area. Have her communicate (perhaps with some kind of hand signal) what she's hearing in as much detail as possible, such as music, silence, people talking. Just keep tuning the dial until you find a station that matches up with what she is hearing.

If you suspect one particular station, you can also confirm that by taking her closer to and further away from that station to see if it affects the strength.

In case the doctor has any doubts, she can repeat the experiment and demonstrate that she's able to signal to him what he is hearing in headphones.

It seems very plausible that the wire is serving as an antenna and something inside the device is serving as a rectifier. What seems most mysterious is that the resulting physical vibration is being transmitted to the ear.

KB4QAA likes this.
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For certain, contacting the manufacturer of the device is the only reasonable thing to do.

We "experts" here can hypothesize lots of stuff. I think it might be a purple Unicorn causing the problem.:p

But the manufacturer should know, and if this has ever been experienced before, probably have a solution.