"Radio Shack" predicted to disappear in the next year.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N7UR, Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not so sure they're dead.

I visited two of their stores in the last couple days. I was looking for one of their decent-quality mobile speakers for my HF rig, to match the one I have on my dualband VHF/UHF rig.

The first store was a new one. It was almost 100% cellphones and iPods. Now, the appeal of that store was that they had a ton of fairly unique little items, some of which I had not seen before. And, if I was looking for an accessory for my cellphone or iPod, I would probably go there first - even over Best Buy. But for anything else, fuggetaboudit.

The second store was an older one tucked in the corner of a strip mall. It was like stepping into a time warp. They still sold CB radios, and scanners! I think most of that stuff has actually been discontinued, but they still had it in that store. I managed to find the speaker on a shelf, after the clerk checked stock and told me there weren't any. They had a great sale on batteries, too, just like in 1967.

I'm learning to buy my needed supplies on infrequent trips to the nearest ham dealer, and I load up on goodies when I go to Silicon Valley. If there was a Fry's near me, I would just sign over one paycheck a month, though I see they have recently stopped selling Alinco rigs like they used to. I think those of us outside major population centers will be doomed to mail order before long. OK, I like Digikey, too, and RF Parts is a great outfit.

If Dick Smith Electronics couldn't make it here, it's hard to see how Radio Shack could. They certainly do a brisk business in cellphones - I really don't know why. Why would I buy a contract from them, when I can drive two blocks or less and get a better deal from the cellphone company? My daughter lost a cellphone that we bought at RS. It was going to cost us over $300 to replace it - but the company that actually provided our service replaced it for free - with a one year contract.

Still, there is a lot of traffic in many of their stores, which means they are making sales. The company exists without any visible means of support, defying all the laws of business and economics.

2. KD7ZD

KD7ZD Ham Member QRZ Page

Doesn't break my heart. They haven't got much of what I need anyway. The local stores are just dealers and sell very little Radio Shack stuff. They'll just use the space for other things and go right on selling to the consumer.

I do have fond memories of the Allied Catalog though. It was my wish book years ago.

Phil
    KD7ZD

3. KF6GC

KF6GC Ham Member QRZ Page

they never have a thing I need for my radio shack so I don't go there. I would if they did but they don't so I Won't. simple! Get in line, or go on line that's the only choice, bye bye Radio Shack!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.