"Radio Shack" predicted to disappear in the next year.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N7UR, Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KE4PKB

KE4PKB Guest

No wonder Radio Shack is in trouble! I just left my local store in South Augusta, Georgia just before closing today (Monday, July 12, 2010). I went into see if they had a sheet metal nibbler. That nibbler is no longer carried "IN the store" only on the Internet. I over-heard the salesman "helping" a customer (while I was looking for the nibbler) concerning a mobile T.V. antenna. The customer needed a mobile T.V. antenna for a analog T.V. set. The Radio Shack employee told the Soldier (in uniform) that they do NOT carry a mobile T.V. antenna anymore. (WOW... imagine that!). BUT... he handed him a "Rubber Duck" for a scanner with a B.N.C. connector on it. He walks over and gets a couple of adapters off the shelf and peices them together with a inside the window rubber suction cup mount. He tells them that this will work because afterall a antenna is nothing more than a piece of metal. I just stood there with my jaw dropped! :eek:
    Stanton Shealy, ke4pkb...

2. KE5IQL

KE5IQL Ham Member QRZ Page

3. W5TXR

W5TXR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"The Shack" Who cares?
    Radio Shack shot themselves in the foot when they dc'd the catalog.
    Then they incrementally downsized the parts, ham radio stuff to make room for crap like cell phones and palm pilots.
    Radio Shack still does not get it.

I am surprised they have lasted as long as they have!

4. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Radio Shack RIP

Nine years ago I made the mistake of becoming a manager of a local Radio Shack outlet for about six months.

The mentality of the management above me was sell sell sell sell sell sell. Sell a pair of sunglasses to an old blind lady if possible. There was no emphasis on customer service at all.

As far as store sales associates they were not hired for their knowledge of electronics but just trained to sell sell sell sell sell sell. One of my job aspects as manager was to place tremendous pressure on my sales associates to sell sell sell sell sell sell. Berate them and yell at them if necessary. Threaten them with termination. My district sales manager's mantra was, "We don't hire clerks so don't make me demote you to customer".

Ridiculous unatainable monthly sales quotas were placed on the associates and the very few that made their quota were usually denied their sales commissions on technicalities. So store associate turnover was very high.

Last but not least much of the store product sold was shoddy and over priced. If someone returned a newly purchased item due to a defect I was supposed to repackage the item and put it back out on the shelf to be sold again as new.

I was so disgusted by the whole experience that I have not set foot in a Radio Shack store since 2001.

Speaking of 2001 after the 911 attacks I had no customers enter the store that day so I closed early. That got me in trouble with the district sales manager.

5. KY4K

KY4K Ham Member QRZ Page

Radio Shack:

You've got questions, we have questions!

6. WD4HXG

WD4HXG Ham Member QRZ Page

Check out the local Fry's Electronics Stores. They are scattered around the western US and have an aisle full of discrete components. Little pricey but heck, they have it hanging right in front of you in blister packs. Also they have just about anything else related to electronics. They even have an aisle were there are shortwave receivers. Dang amazing in todays marketplace.

7. N1DVJ

N1DVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

An appology

I'd like to appologize to the group for a recent post. It seems I have a short fuse when it comes to people saying certain things, and I let an emotional surge rule what I posted.

As I mentioned to someone else already, it probably comes from being on the receiving end of some of the idiotic customers that came into Radio Shack and trying to show how smart they were to the 'mindless clerks' that worked there. Company rules in effect at the time prohibited me from grabbing them by the throat and shaking violently until they stopped talking. However, all they could probably have said towards the end would have been 'stop' or 'ow'.

In any case, if I make a 'personal' instead of 'generic' insult directed at any individual, please feel free to direct your flame at me, even publicly if you feel it will make it more emotionally satisfying.

Mike
    N1DVJ

8. N0WYO

N0WYO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Mike, you're not the first one that's happened to, and most likely not the last. I've done the same thing here with the same result... A deleted post:D I deserved that.

Forgetaboutit...;)

9. KJ4SBC

KJ4SBC Ham Member QRZ Page

no idea

Went to the shack to pick up some 300 Ohm twin lead for making a J pole Ant and they told me twice that they did not stock that cable of feed line. I went on a walk around the store and found two packs of the cable.

went in for some connectors and adapter and ended up finding them my self without there help.

10. W4WSW

W4WSW Ham Member QRZ Page

100% Agree....!!

I use to get a lot of components as well for experiments and projects my self and to fix electronics equipments, but as you say, as soon they fade out the electronics parts and bring yong guys at the store (they don't know a thing about electronics) the only thing they know (and not to well) is to sell cell phones. Not surprise eather.....! Good by RS, and Best Buy well too expensive poor quality...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.