"Radio Shack" predicted to disappear in the next year.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N7UR, Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree. The marketing issue Radio Shack is dealing with at the moment is they are trying to "compete" with the big box stores instead of trying to remain specialized within a specific market niche.

Simply put Mel, Radio Shack neither has the financial resources, nor will they ever be capable of competing in such markets. So, why they are even trying to do that exactly is anyone's estimation.

One thing is for sure though, they will never succeed doing that!!! They will fail and this will lead exactly into the precise direction they are already going.

My question is, why are they trying to do that in the first place? It's like i'm standing on the sidelines watching them sabotage themselves.

My Best.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  2. WQ1O

WQ1O Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you have it quite right. I worked for Tandy many years ago. We never tried to compete with the big discount stores selling electronics. We provided the accessories and knowledge to use them. People would go buy a big TV from Sears or Kmart, then come to us for the cables and accessories. The most frequent comment we got was "you are the only guys in town who know about cables, adapters and stuff". Now sales people at Radio Shack have no more knowledge than somebody behind a kiosk in the mall....sad.

3. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes sir! I sincerely agree and think if they capitalized on the idea of ,"You are the only guys in town who know about cables, adapters and stuff", they would be in a MUCH better position today as a business model.

Radio Shack used to provide knowledgeable "service" but now it seems they only know how to operate a cash register. It seems they dropped the ball somewhere along the way. I agree with you, it's sad really.

My Best.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  4. KE5KCN

KE5KCN Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not surprised, it's a shame to say but the shack is nothing like it used to be. The employees know even less about electronics than they have stock. Over the years a lot of the independent parts suppliers have gone by the way side, due to electronic products now being cheaper to replace than repair. It's a throw away society, where once it was cheaper to have your television repaired now you just as well go down to Wal-Mart and pick up a new one. Even at my work where we used to extend the life of Lenkyrt 76a microwaves repairing modules and replacing klystron tubes, the new equipment these days although much more sophisticated and great pay load capabilities, there is not much you can do with them once the factory drops support. Repairing modules takes special equipment and components that were made special for the manufacturer and they would be happy to make one for you if you wanted 3000 of them(good example TI's AM26LS33 tristate buffer). Luckily in New Orleans we still have W. B. Allen supply, they have a good stock of components and their staff are very knowledgeble.

5. K2LCK

K2LCK Ham Member QRZ Page

wall warts selling @ $25

when I saw that, I knew they were about to fly below the level of the existing terrain.. ed

6. N9LYA

N9LYA Ham Member QRZ Page

Try more then 4 decades... RS used to be the place to buy second only to to Heath Kit... RS has not been the place to buy anything "RADIO" or PARTS related, in over 20 years and has been moving away from RADIO for over 40...

Now they have very little and what they do have the prices are way over priced..
    Take a computer part (Something do do carry)
    Take a 6 foot USB extension cable $39.00 NFW...

I can buy these all dfay at Best Buy and Wal Mart for a very small fraction of that cost...

RS has left the building a long time ago...

73 Jerry N9LYA

7. N9XR

N9XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember seeing a Radio Shack training video one time. They taught their sales force that the 75 ohm cable was a lot less loss than the 300 ohm twinlead because "ohms" represents loss. So salespersons were instructed to sell coaxial cable over twinlead.

8. K1CJS

K1CJS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, that shop is still there. I take a trip up there every few months.

73, Chris, K1CJS

9. K1CJS

K1CJS Ham Member QRZ Page

It isn't that the hobby is dying, it is because the hobby is evolving. Granted, the VHF/UHF repeaters are losing popularity, but the HF bands are not. When you say "...in my area." it is all too apparant you mean the VHF/UHF frequencies. It is just that the hobby is once again becoming what it used to be before repeaters became popular---except for the emcomm people and their off the wall cousins, the whackers.

The decline in the number of parts stores and the number of hams who do homebrewing and their own repair work is due to the evolving nature of electronics in today's world. Devices are small because the level of SMT (surface mount technology) has risen to the point that just about everything in a modern transceiver requires a specialized workstation and tools to even open up to look at.

The internet has hurt the localized ham stores because hams still are a cheap bunch. They tend to look for the best price, and there is no way an open store can beat a warehouse/internet sales only store. The overhead the open store has to charge for increases the prices they have to charge.

Again, that is because of the internet--and the auction sites on it. Who wants to spend their time at hamfests when they can sell their gear without spending a day or two babysitting it--AND they get a better price for it to boot!

Sorry to disagree, but the hobby is far from dying. The HF bands are alive and well, especially the CW portions. On the HF frequencies there has been NO decline. It just seems that way because the solar minimum seems to want to hold on. The decline has been in repeater useage, club membership and areas of the hobby revolving around those two things.

10. K4AOO

K4AOO Ham Member QRZ Page

Sadly, radio shack betrayed it's original baseline of business sales which was "electronics and anything associated with it" for the short sightedness of the cell phone profit, and they didn't loose any money doing it. I miss the time when you could go into radio shack and count on finding most anything electronic that you needed. for the past 10 years all I've seen is cell phones. Ask any of the reps about a cell phone and a plan to go with it, I assure you they'll be able to talk intelligently about it. Anything else is a hit and miss. Cell phones are where the money is. Sadly!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.