Radio setup for SAR

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KM4SPU, Nov 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

I just realized, now that the telescoping tubing antenna has been (unfortunately) busted off, that creates an opportunity to try making a more robust alternative - a tape measure element.

As shown in this previously posted blog (scroll down a half dozen posts) this fellow used pieces of flexible steel tape measure to make a more rugged backpack whip. At 5 bucks for a 1" wide tape, its worth a shot. Just scrape off the paint and tie-wrap it tightly to the remaining stub of the failed telescopic tube. Make it 18.2" long total. Add the trailing wire counterpoise. Voilla!

[​IMG]

WZ7U likes this.
  2. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And hopefully it will not slice an ear off as it snaps around! :eek:

Seriously, at first glance it does appear to be a viable solution.

Regards,
    -Bruce

3. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

Encase it in heat shrink tubing.

W0PV and KU4X like this.
  4. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

@KM4SPU, I just realized a mistake in my suggestion for using tape-measure material to replace the broken telescopic tube. The telescopic tube whip you have was probably designed as a longer then 1/4w antenna, more likely a 1/2 or 5/8w whip, therefore has a loading coil integrated into its base just above the connector.

If so then you should cut the tape measure material to essentially replace the length of the telescopic tube when it was fully extended. Duh. My bad.

That is considerably more than 18.2" I spec'ed if it was simply a 1/4w length. Hopefully then the replacement tape measure material would get you back to at least the same performance as the original telescope tube indicated it could give.

However, it still would be worthwhile to add a trailing wire counterpoise as described. Or alternatively try to make a center fed half-wave dipole tape measure replacement. And to verify the xmit operation of anything with borrowed instrumentation.

Good luck!