Radio sees something completely different...

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by K2QI, May 23, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

James,

You statement in your original post, "the rig sees 1.5 to 1.6 on a band that the analyzer says should be around 1.3:1 on a given frequency" is not really a significant indicator of a problem. Many of us I believe had the same thought. Good chance that your cable with a cold solder joint would only have shown up under normal operating as a SWR reading with the 'jitters'. In general we knew more about what you did than what the problem was. Glad you fixed the problem. Yes, the internet can be a bit harsh.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

^I agree.

I actually would not have guessed a "bad patch cable," since a short length of coax, almost no matter what it is, used on HF (<30 MHz) is typically either "good" or "bad" (bad = open or shorted) and not somewhere between.

I wonder, although it doesn't matter, if the real issue wasn't a "bad cable," but a "bad cable length" and the new replacement cable is a different electrical length. The "load impedance seen by the rig" will always change when changing cable lengths anywhere unless the termination is perfect, which it rarely is. The SB-220 internal wiring when the amp is "off," and just passing signals through it is far from perfect, especially on 10m.

WG7X likes this.
  3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

You need thick skin to hang around here. :)

A Banana skin may not be thick enough. Old Banana skins get thin.

I do not think any harm was intended.

The relay in a amp can affect the SWR. I do not worry, The effects of a little SWR is way overrated. o_O