Radio Row

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA4ILH, Apr 4, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. K2LCK

K2LCK Ham Member QRZ Page

If anyone wants to see what Manhattan looked like in 1971-72, watch the movie for the musical "Godspell". Most of the numbers are on YouTube. Much of it was filmed in Manhattan - you can see that the Twin Towers were still under construction.

73 de Jim, N2EY[/QUOTE]
    the middle floors of the empire state bldg went unfinushed for years..like 30-40 floors.... the hole thing was poliical,there is damn little access to lower manhattan to this day,most trains go to midtown...,the 3 bkln bridges are not or less down town, the 59 st bridge is well.. @59th st...,etc...

2. K2LCK

K2LCK Ham Member QRZ Page

i forgot about the hudson tubes, they do go downtowm.....

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

At least APEX here in L.A. is not gone, and is the same as it was 30-40 years ago.:)

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure they do! The PATH trains are what I used to take from NJ to downtown.

The Staten Island Ferry serves "downtown" also, and is fun if the WX isn't terrible.:p

N2EY likes this.
  5. KS2AM

KS2AM Ham Member QRZ Page

Some more Radio Row from 1929. Starts around 8:30 .

Followed by the original Penn Station and some people hanging out the top of the Chrysler building.

KB4QAA likes this.
  6. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Where I was a kid we didn't have a radio row - we had Brewery Gulch.

small town USA indeed.

7. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

One day, I found a real bargain on Cortlandt street. It was an old US Army Signal Corps UHF sweep generator from WWII. (UHF was all the way up to 250 MHz in those days) It had one broken meter and no cables but it had another good Western Electric 10 MA meter (FS) and a really neat 10-1 geared frequency dial on the front panel. I talked the guy down to $5. The only problem I had was that it was in a steel case about 2’ X 2’ X 3’ and must have weighed close to 40 pounds. The leather carrying handle on the top was broken. I was only 16 years old and did not have a car so I had to carry this monster back to my home in New Jersey. I lugged it to the Jersey Central ferry terminal and took it home on the train. I got a lot of strange looks from the conductor but I managed to get it home in one piece. This was a real find. It was full of hard to find parts like insulated ¼” shaft flexible connectors, feedthrough capacitors the 10-1 ratio geared drive and a small internal power supply with oil filled electrolytic capacitors. The actual “sweep generator” parts were mostly acorn tubes. Just disassembling this was a learning experience.
    Tom WA4ILH

K1OIK likes this.
  8. NK2U

NK2U Ham Member QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fantastic! Love the old newsreels.

de NK2U

9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately, I think he was talking about Chicago. There; "radio Row" is no more, and I second and even third his sigh. More recently, the military destroys (or damages beyond repair) much decommissioned equipment, rather thN ALLOWING IT TO BE SOLD AS SURPLUS.

10. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope.

The 4D32 was not phased out by a pair of 6146's in the V-II because they were better. It was always a very rugged and reliable tube.
    The real reason was that the Korean War was in process and the USAF put a block on any commercial sales and filed a blanket order with Raytheon. Collins had the political clout to continue using them in the 32V series transmitter until it ceased production and concentrated on SSB and the S Line. Hallicrafters also used it in the HT-20,

That radar was declared obsolete in 1953 but that blanket order kept supplying replacement tubes until the late 90's when some observant USAF bean counter or inventory control genius woke up , did his homework, and the order was cancelled. Interestingly that tube did not have a JAN designation that Ive ever found and they were stamped USAF only with no contract # or any other designation.
    When 4D32 stock hit the market, especially Ebay, the prices started high at around $50. I got in for a pair for $20 for my Viking I. Later when I acquired a 32V2 I paid $20-22 each for 4 more and havent used any of the spares yet, both rigs are in regular use on AM.

The rigs that used them were not cheap in later years because of the tube; they simply became obsolete in the face of SSB and are now in demand. I had a V-I from 1956 to about 62 and the original 4D32 was still working well.

Viking I's were not scrapped or parted out en masse either since Johnson quickly published a mod to use the 829B which was a very cheap WW2 surplus tube that used the same socket. Once the V-II was released a kit to convert the V-I was provided as a simple swap since the V II used the same V-I chassis and it was a bolt-in plus simple wiring.

Carl