Radio Row

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA4ILH, Apr 4, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Or an officer of the Pittsbourg DX Association.

N3AB, KA4DPO and W0VRA like this.
  2. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember him having the detached garage. If he didn't have something in his basement, he would run out and get it from the garage. I'll be he had some nice stuff in there! I recall the beautiful S-Line station he had at his operating position. The assortment of radios for sale - from new to old was a sight to behold.

3. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There was a surplus store, Electronic Dimensions on Puyallup Ave, in Tacoma Washington back in the 90's, I don't know if he is still there but he had mountains of radio and electronic stuff. I used to go TDY to Ft Lewis and McChord AFB and I can recall going there quite a few times. I remember that he had stacks of R390s and also Racal and Watkins Johnson receivers all over the place. He also had an impressive array of used ham gear. I used to buy components for home brew projects from him and he had literally tons of components.

Anyone remember the place?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    AF7XT likes this.
  4. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

@K9STH says to keep the grid current below 3 mA per tube, and that 2.5 mA is fine. EFJ says 6 mA for the Viking 2.

What issue(s) was that?

The chart I referred to was from #27, July, 1991, page 11. Here it is:

johnson radio sales.JPG

Of course it may be incomplete. Note how the chart does not differentiate between the Ranger and Ranger II, nor the Valiant and Valiant II. Perhaps the Viking II CDC was not included in the Viking II numbers.

Of all the Johnson HF rigs, I think I like the Viking II the best. Clean straightforward design, mostly common parts and all common tubes, can be improved and modded all sorts of ways. Wide range pi network output, covers 160-10 including WARC and 60 meters. Hinged top for easy access to tubes and crystals. External VFO needs to provide only a few volts of RF for full output. Not rare - and much more.

Jim, N2EY

5. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know what "as if you were a ham" means. He never said he was a licensed ham at the time. And lots of people frequented electronic stores who were not licensed. Lots of unlicensed people attended hamfests also.
    I was amazed at the amount of time you spent looking up licensing info in order to discredit someone interested in radio row at young age. I guess there could be lots of other disagreements between the two of you that I am not aware of. But wow....that was an awful lot of detail dredged up and presented. But I guess that's what makes the Zed entertaining to some.
    I am a little taken back by attacking claims of how long people have been licensed and wether or not they were morse certified. It all seems a little anal retentive to me.

NK2U, WZ7U, K4TTJ and 1 other person like this.
  6. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

That's why I don't talk to you, Mr N2EY. You spend an inordinate amount of time trying to assassinate others as if radio was the do-all, be-all that defines EVERYTHING about your opponents. HEY, A. H, I don't have to justify anything to you. I KNOW what I did. I don't give a **** I GOT it DON'T I? You make everything into a contest.
    If that's all you have to do is COMPETE with others, TEAR DOWN anything anyone says--even casual posts that don't mean crap, dismantle every post one makes, you really must be the real a. h. in person you present here. To me, NOTHING that goes on on QRZ means a thing -IT IS NOT important, and I don't give two s****s in Hades what you think, and nobody else here does, either! They don't care what I think, so WHAT'S your point?

N6QIC, NK2U and K1OIK like this.
  7. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

....and that 2.5 mA is fine...that is all the info needed to keep 6146's happy.

="N2EY, post: 4629971, member: 247825"]What issue(s) was that?[/QUOTE]

1998 Maybe July August September from memory....no guarantee. When did V-II ads stop?

For me it is a toss between the Ranger and both V-II versions. The Ranger is easier to use with a linear on CW and AM and it is usually too low power by itself on AM but does fine up thru 10M when the bands are hot. The V-1 is a strong contender, I used the one I had in HS to drive PP 250TH's with 810 modulators using a pair of ratty looking BC-610's and other WW2 surplus thru MARS.

The V-II is often fine standalone plus the audio stage can be used to drive a big Class B modulator as can the Ranger at a much lower power as shown in Desk Kilowatt ads......with a HRO-60 for those with the money to spend.

The CDC can also be used on the high end of the BCB (at least down to 1500 KHz) in an emergency. The regular V-II can almost reach 1600 KHz. The CDC can cover continuously to 30+ MHz while the straight V-II will cover a big part of that range.
    Any Johnson model that covered 11M was a big hit with CBers.

8. N2EY

There is a way of writing which implies something without actually saying it, so that the reader is misled into assuming the wrong thing.

It doesn't take much time at all, if someone knows what they are doing. Minutes at the most.

First, the Zed itself provides lots of info, including a link to the FCC ULS page.

Second, there are many Callbooks on line at archive.org. If someone knows a callsign, it is a very simple matter to research their history. Callbooks started putting license class into the info in 1967.

In order to check up on a claim that didn't ring true.

Check back through the links and claims made.

It was claimed - not by me - that having an Advanced, all by itself, proves that the licensee passed 13 wpm. But that's not true, because it was possible to get an Advanced with 5 wpm and a medical waiver from 1990 until 2000.

It was also stated - not by me - that the Extra is "meaningless", because there are Extras with all levels of code testing. Never mind the written tests!

I made some comments about the above, and K4KWH told me I was WRONG - that he'd earned the General before 1990. So he couldn't have used a code waiver.....

That seemed....unlikely....so I did a few minutes of research, and the real history came out.

Was that wrong? If so, why?

As I have stated before, there's nothing wrong with code waivers if the person truly qualified for them. There's nothing wrong with earning one's license in accordance with the rules in force at the time. As long as everything is honest and above-board, it's all good. You will NEVER see me use a derogatory term for people who earned their licenses in different ways, if they followed the rules.

And I say this as someone who earned his license back in the days of FCC office testing, Novice to Extra, 1967 to 1970. I've told the story many times, and it's 100% accurate.

BUT

When someone tells stories about their past which turn out to be.....inflated......that's not OK. And the person who shows the history is NOT a bad person for showing it.

IMHO, anyway

Jim, N2EY

AF7XT likes this.
  9. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

The garage had to be cleaned out. I loaded up about 20 to 30 Yaesu FT-101(x)(xx) transceiver carcasses, several FT-102 carcasses, a box of FT-101 PC boards, a huge box (hard to forget this box) of feet from all types of rigs, and a bunch of other parts boxes he had there. Most of the stuff went off to Dayton that same year since I really had no room for all of it. I was still sorting through another estate haul I acquired several weeks prior.

N2EY likes this.
  10. N2EY

Agreed.

Too many hams think/thought that if 2 is good, 3 is better and 4 should be great. But it's just not true all the time.

Index should tell.

Don't know, but I don't recall them beyond the very early 1960s.

It is interesting to note that many classic rigs were only on the market for a few years. The NC-300, for example.

The Ranger is indeed a near-ideal exciter for a big AM rig, whether it be linear or plate modulated. Enough RF and audio to drive almost anything. Usable alone if it comes to that.

There was a story I read somewhere of a Viking II being used as an SWBC tx in a Central or South American country, when the regular tx was down for repair. They figured 100 watts was better than 0 watts. Did the job.

Why the HRO-60 was shown with the Desk Kilowatt is a mystery to me. IMHO, an NC-300 would be a better choice. (The pictures were taken before the NC-300 was on the market, and EFJ probably wasn't going to redo the photos for such a small detail.)

There are some QSTs of the 1950s which have a multipage EFJ advertising section in the middle, showing all their rigs and accessories - in full color! One can only imagine what that cost.

An idea......

The Viking I and II are so similar that, if someone got a deal on 4D32s, they could retro-mod a Viking II to use a 4D32 in the final.

Also - the 4D22 is a 4D32 with a different filament voltage (25.2 volts, center tapped to permit operation from 12.6 volts). So if someone comes across 4D22s at a good price....

Jim, N2EY