Radio Row

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA4ILH, Apr 4, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember W2FNT! He always had some real nice stuff down in his basement. I still have a vibroplex bug that I bought from him. He always used to come out to the local hamfests as well. He passed away a number of years ago. He had a lot of really nice stuff for sale in his basement.

N2EY likes this.
  2. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

You should have been there when we helped clean out his garage. Oh my!! :) :)

3. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

Right. BUT I was involved in radio LONG before that--mostly as a CAP member and starting as a cadet. I never fooled with CB. You don't have to be 'licensed' to have an interest in something and I was interested in most anything electronic or aviation. I learned CW as a kid, then forgot it when I got married, had a kid of my own, and go interested in other things like music, flying, and, of course, as a young man, dating. And in those days one had to go to an FCC office to test and we lived far, far from one. Nearest one was Norfolk, VA. Dad didn't think much of such things, wouldn't take the time to take me to test. So I dabbled in radio, built "kid" science projects up until the 80's, was satisfied with the opportunities CAP gave me as a kid (participating in actual USAF search missions, checking into their HF nets). So, yes, I DID go over to that Charlotte store soon as I got a car of my own, and, yes, I DID scrounge thru the "goodies". And, YES, I got my first license in '89 (when I finally had time), and at that time, the General required 13 wpm which I passed. I was working on Extra and could copy at 20+ wpm when I learned that the code was going away. I don't care if anybody likes it or not, but I decided that, after doing all the work for Advanced, and working on Extra, since the CW was going away, I didn't want to be "lumped" in with what came to be known as "extra lites". It kinda made me mad; I had done all that study for nothing. (Remember all the Generals that got upset back in the 60's and wouldn't upgrade?) So I remained Advanced and will continue to do so unless they make some other changes. And I hope they don't do that.

4. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That was our district but Atlanta was much closer. The old bat there was always snarky to the people from Charlotte because we were 'supposed to' go to Norfolk and we created extra work for her. I went on a bus for my General :)

N2EY likes this.
  5. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yet you wrote the story as if you were a ham as a youngster - but you weren't.

In another post, you claimed to have gotten your General before 1990. You said I was wrong - but was I?

Here's a link and a quote:

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/what-did-advanced-hams-do-to-become-extras.603684/page-25#post-4603853

K4KWH: YOU are wrong. At that time, one had to do the 13 WPM for General. I HAD that and actually was at 20 WPM. I was General BEFORE 1990, sir.

I was about to take the Extra text when I learned that the code would be eliminated.
    Suddenly, the Extra was meaningless. So I didn't take the test preferring to remain right where I am. Techs did the 5 wpm thing.

None of that matches the reality.

The Winter 1990 Callbook shows KC4KWH on page 406 as a Technician.

The 1993 Callbook shows KC4KWH on page 483 as a Technician.

The 1994 Callbook shows KC4KWH on page 505 as a General.

The 1996 Callbook shows KC4KWH on page 553 as an Advanced.

So, Jerry, tell us: When did you earn the General license before 1990?

Where is any of what I wrote "wrong"? The Extra required 20 wpm until 2000.

Medical waivers for the 13 and 20 wpm code test were available after 1990 - all that was needed was to get a doctor - any MD or DO - to sign the form. So, since your General and Advanced are from YEARS after that, all they really prove, by themselves, is that you passed 5 wpm.

That's all well and good - but you didn't actually get a license until 1989, under the VE system. The way you tell stories could easily lead people to think you were licensed long before you actually were.

You forgot Morse Code? Then you didn't really learn it.

Let's take a look at the history, Jerry.

You were born in 1948, right?

From the 1930s until the 1970s, there was the Conditional license (formerly Class C), which was for those who lived "far, far" from an FCC office. The Conditional was a "General by mail", and gave all the same privileges. All you needed was a local ham to give you the test by mail.

From 1954 until 1966, to qualify for a Conditional one needed to live 75 miles from a quarterly FCC exam point. I don't know exactly where you grew up, but it sure sounds like you would have met the distance qualification for a Conditional.

On top of that, in that same time period, all routine Novice and Technician licenses were "by mail" exams too.

You got the Technician in 1989 but didn't get the General until 1993, according to the Callbooks.

That doesn't add up. The code test didn't go away until 2007.

Yet your Advanced license, by itself, didn't prove you passed 13 wpm.

You didn't learn anything from all that study? It was all for nothing?

No - and I was a ham then (starting in 1967).

I recall how some folks were upset that their General or Conditional license wasn't a guarantee of full privileges for life.

I recall how some folks thought they were owed a free upgrade to Extra, since they'd been hams a few years.

I recall being told the Advanced required the equivalent of an EE degree and the Extra required the equivalent of a Ph.D and being just a little bit slower than Ted McElroy, and that the typical ham had no chance of passing either.

I recall how getting my Advanced in 1968, age 14, with an 8th grade education, and having full privileges for a few weeks and then losing them. And the 2 year wait to get them back.

Why? All your Advanced proves, by itself, is that you were licensed before 2000 and that you passed the required written tests - and 5 wpm code. That's all.

There's nothing wrong with someone getting a license by volunteer examiner, by VE, or using a code waiver. Nothing wrong with folks who put other things ahead of radio for years, then finally get around to getting a license. Nothing wrong at all.

But....when someone tells a story that is full of inaccuracies, and then tells others they are wrong when they show the inaccuracies....that's a different thing. It makes others question the.....accuracy.....of the person's stories.

When someone claims their Advanced license, which was earned in the mid-1990s, proves all by itself that they passed 13 wpm.... that's a different thing. It makes others question the.....reasoning.....of the person.

When someone claims that an Extra license is "meaningless", and uses terms such as "Extra lite" the way you did......that's a different thing. It shows a disrespect for those who have earned their license according to the rules in place at the time.

So, Jerry - you claimed to have had a General before 1990, yet the Callbooks say you didn't get one until 1993. What's the real story?

N2SR likes this.
  6. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Let it go Jim. It’s not important.

And it’s not like Jerry is, you know, a gym teacher or something...

N6QIC likes this.
  7. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I bought my DX-20 and VF-1 from him, by mail, back in the late 1960s. Good clean used gear.

Many years later, I finally met him in person at a hamfest. Introduced myself, shook his hand, and thanked him for selling me good used gear at a fair price.

A real class act was John, W2FNT.

KB2FCV likes this.
  8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I knew his daughter JoAnne really well also. She was WA2VHW, I don't know if she's still licensed today but she was about my age and cute.

John was an engineer with Western Electric in Kearny, NJ and as such had a great deal of "hands on" hardware experience. I was there so often he was like my second Dad.

I can't even list how many items I bought from John, but got a couple of amazing deals (he liked kids a lot) including the 75A-4 I still have today which I bought from him in 1973 or so. He was actually the "original owner" of that receiver, but he had about five of them at the time and I cajoled him (pretty please) into selling me "his," because it was absolutely perfect. $350 in 1973 was a lot of money, but I never regretted that.

A trip "down the stairs" into his basement hamshack/store was always a terrific experience.

KB2FCV and N2EY like this.
  9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I remember his detached garage.

In my youth, that's where he stored big stuff or stuff he took in on trade but hadn't serviced yet; after servicing it would go down into the basement on the "store shelves."

I don't think he had room in the garage for any cars.

KB2FCV likes this.
  10. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

KM1H said:
    The implication was the same.

I disagree

Many proved that was excessive grid current and K9STH confirmed it.
    Maximum Ig should be 2.5 ma even under deep Class C AM conditions.

According to another ER issue that had a 3 part series about improving the V-II audio production ceased in 64 with low production a year in 62-4. In 64 only 48 were built and that was the real end.
    My 64 CDC has several 64 date code parts including the finals plus the original inventory tag from the GM Proving Grounds.