ad: portazero-1

Radio Questions Answered

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M1MRB, Jul 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. M1MRB

M1MRB Ham Member QRZ Page

ICQPodcast Episode 329

In this episode, Martin M1MRB is joined by Dan Romanchik KB6NU, Edmund Spicer M0MNG and Ruth Willet KM4LAO to discuss the latest Amateur / Ham Radio news. Colin M6BOY rounds up the news in brief and this episode’s feature is Radio Questions Answered.

ICQ AMATEUR/HAM RADIO PODCAST DONORS

We would like to thank Daryll McCaffrey, Ed Efchak (WX2R), Andrew Whybrow (M0IRU), David Bowie, Ed Jones (K8MEJ), Phil Heckingbottom (VK6ADF), Dino Papas KLØS, Gayln True Hall and two anonymous donors along with our monthly and annual subscription donors for keeping the podcast advert free. To donate, please visit - http://www.icqpodcast.com/donate

News stories include: -
    • Successful Foundation Webinar
    • 5000 km plus Opening on 144 MHz from Cape Verde Islands to Europe
    • PRESENTER OPINION: The Rebirth of HF?
    • The Uncertain Future of Ham Radio
    • Proposed Shortwave Station in Illinois Prompts an Objection
    • DIY Weather Satellite Ground Station
    • UK National Hamfest 2020 Cancelled
    • European SOTA Activity Day 19th September 2020
    • ILLW on Track for 2020
    The ICQPodcast can be downloaded from http://www.icqpodcast.com

upload_2020-7-19_15-56-43.png

K4FMH likes this.
  2. AA9UF

AA9UF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have an Icom 7300 that I bought 2 weeks ago. I am trying to configure it for operation on PSK31 mode. I have been doing the digitals since the late 1980s snd I know my way around a computer. My computer runs Windows 7 because I hate Windows 10. I know I am missing something in the menu that should be changed but I can't figure out what that one thing is. A few days ago I saw a You Tube video showing what things you need to change and I did have it working for a while until a thunderstorm came thru and "fritzed" it. Yes, I did have the antenna disconnected. I had to do a partial reset and that brought it back to life, but psk31 no longer worked. My problem is that the power output on PSK31 is either 10 watts or 80 and the power level bounces all over the place. Nothing I do with my SignaLink USB seems to help. I tried to setup the rig to do digitals without the SignaLink but I did not care for that. I am too used to turning a knob to regulate power output and RX. I spent yesterday afternoon/evening searching for the info I needed both online and in the "full manual" that I downloaded. I finally gave up in disgust, had a beer and went to bed. Any help you could offer would be most appreciated.

John, AA9UF
    aa9uf.gercken@gmail.com

3. M1MRB

M1MRB Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi John

Sorry I don’t have any of the hardware you are using so I can’t replicate your problem. On talking to other Hams who do have an Icom 7300 they all say use the built-in USB sound interface.

Once again sorry I can’t help with this one.

73 Martin

4. KE8NFK

KE8NFK Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got a question that'll last a few pages;

WHY do 30+ year old HF radios (that may or may not work, it hasn't been turned it in a few months/years/decades, and don't have an antenna for it anyways) cost as much if not MORE than NEW HF radios???

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Nostalgia.

The buyers determine resale value - they will only pay what they feel an item is worth.

Owning "that radio" from their youth can drive a price much higher than any modern radio

Dave
    W7UUU