Radio pros or elmers, anyone think I can make this antenna balances with radio ATU?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by K5CDR, Feb 28, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. K5CDR

K5CDR Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello all,

I know much is possible when using a balun, and I've always used an external ATU usually to make an antenna match. I have a general question that I feel is important for field day or in use for an emergency should my wife or children Lord-forbid have to pull extras out of the military surplus radio storage (my grandfather was HF SIGINT for US Army - 42 years, even received a personal letter from the president before he died as he was one of the primary radio ops during the Cuban Missile Crisis stationed at Fort Polk, LA).

The question is, do you feel it possible that one may easily balance this antenna below (or please recommend an easy to deploy partial mutil-band one to get up to height in an emergency - NVIS is most important not DX)?
    http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-012754
    http://chameleonantenna.com/BASE ANTENNA/CHA EMCOMM II/CHA EMCOMM II.html

Seeking to use one of the following primary - Yaesu FT-991 (since it has VHF/UHF, WITH cross-band repeat and System Fusion for use with mobile HT FT1-DR or newer and mobile FTM-400DR)? I'm not a Yaesu fan BTW - just standardized on them since I had so many and my grandfather was. I'd like to make sure I can throw up two towers or use something for NVIS, plus get something up there for VHF/UHF (like the FTM-400DR) for use with X-Band Repeater and/or APRS if needed. Since many have APRS and I can use the AMS modes, it lets those with those features use them and know their range, location and send general messages without much fuss and muss. I've got to keep a small rack mount UPS in there and extra battery, PLUS some means of power supply plus a radio or two, and also something for the 13cm band too since too many mobile device and computers may need it. I've also thought about using an FT-450D as well and adding the FTM-400D for other uses but that's a lot to use and I still may need an external ATU. I really need to keep this as light as possible (I already have a Yaesu FT-857D with an ATAS-120A for mobile use but that's not going to work well in a DOD radio rack (aka portable military faraday cage). It's needs to be functional enough that my oldest who's five now but knows a lot to help Mom out to unpack it and get it up - then follow the instructions I have left should I get called out - I'm Air Force and a cyber analyst. If you can't think of something, suggest a radio and/or antenna to fit in there and achieve these. I know I can lower power, but I can't lower weight all the time. You guys are awesome, thank you and 73's!

BT
    K5CDR
    NNNN