ad: elecraft

Radio or Computer?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0AEW, Dec 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

yeah, it's getting a little weird around here. . . perhaps winter doldrums ?

Reminds me of an old SNL skit where Haray Caray ponders "would you eat the moon if it were made of BBQ spare ribs. . ."

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    KA0HCP and K3XR like this.
  2. W9RDC

W9RDC Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a general discussion forum. The beauty of it is that no posts are required reading.

KR2C, VK6APZ, K0GOV and 1 other person like this.
  3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Does Vanna know about that?:confused::rolleyes:

4. G3ZPF

G3ZPF Subscriber QRZ Page

35wpm? There ya go again, watering down the licence regs to get more members :)

As for a choice between a rig and a computer, I still use a paper log and my PC is mostly used for emails & stuff so the PC would go, providing I could get my 'Hermes Ambassador' typewriter back. A thing of beauty. No rubbishy fabric ribbons on that puppy. Oh no. Silk ribbons, which were 'reassuringly expensive'.

W4NNF likes this.
  5. K4AGO

K4AGO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's not a choice. The computer would go in an instant. I have never purchased a computer. I always build my won and they are technological obsolete within a few months.

Radio's usually are not obsolete for 10 years; sometimes more.

6. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

I figure something is really only "obsolete" if it no longer serves your needs well.

My home-brew PC is at least five years old. And still runs all my games at max.
    Unless something breaks, I figure I'll get another three years+ out of mine.

Also, it doesn't hurt if you buy/build a system that gives you head-room to grow.
    Purchasing a $500 Dell or such is just a throw-away machine.
    (My CPU alone still costs over $300 new.)

w4ravPC2019_medium.JPG

WF4W likes this.
  7. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

nice rig. Home-brew PC is the only way to go . . .

K2NCC likes this.
  8. G3ZPF

G3ZPF Subscriber QRZ Page

...and for home-brew PCs, totally air-cooled is the only way to go.
    No fans. No moving parts at all (aside from the odd occasion I use the DVD) and definitely no water cooling.

[​IMG]

9. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A computer is only obsolete if it will no longer do what you want it to do. If all you want is a simple computer logger that doesn't upload to anything or control your rig, and your word processing needs are simple--grocery and to-do lists--a Commodore 64 will still work just fine for you. ;)

10. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Using a LimeSDR-USB, as I do requires USB3. It is also better if I have good processors, lots of RAM & video cards for FFT.
    I of course, can use other radios, but with the Lime, I can view 50+ MHz at a time if desired.

Ed