Radio or Computer?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0AEW, Dec 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

yeah, it's getting a little weird around here. . . perhaps winter doldrums ?

Reminds me of an old SNL skit where Haray Caray ponders "would you eat the moon if it were made of BBQ spare ribs. . ."

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    KA0HCP and K3XR like this.
  2. W9RDC

W9RDC Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a general discussion forum. The beauty of it is that no posts are required reading.

KR2C, VK6APZ, KE0TNL and 1 other person like this.
  3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Does Vanna know about that?:confused::rolleyes:

4. G3ZPF

G3ZPF Subscriber QRZ Page

35wpm? There ya go again, watering down the licence regs to get more members :)

As for a choice between a rig and a computer, I still use a paper log and my PC is mostly used for emails & stuff so the PC would go, providing I could get my 'Hermes Ambassador' typewriter back. A thing of beauty. No rubbishy fabric ribbons on that puppy. Oh no. Silk ribbons, which were 'reassuringly expensive'.

W4NNF likes this.
  5. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

That's not a choice. The computer would go in an instant. I have never purchased a computer. I always build my won and they are technological obsolete within a few months.

Radio's usually are not obsolete for 10 years; sometimes more.

6. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

I figure something is really only "obsolete" if it no longer serves your needs well.

My home-brew PC is at least five years old. And still runs all my games at max.
    Unless something breaks, I figure I'll get another three years+ out of mine.

Also, it doesn't hurt if you buy/build a system that gives you head-room to grow.
    Purchasing a $500 Dell or such is just a throw-away machine.
    (My CPU alone still costs over $300 new.)

w4ravPC2019_medium.JPG

WF4W likes this.
  7. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

nice rig. Home-brew PC is the only way to go . . .

W4RAV likes this.
  8. G3ZPF

G3ZPF Subscriber QRZ Page

...and for home-brew PCs, totally air-cooled is the only way to go.
    No fans. No moving parts at all (aside from the odd occasion I use the DVD) and definitely no water cooling.

[​IMG]

9. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A computer is only obsolete if it will no longer do what you want it to do. If all you want is a simple computer logger that doesn't upload to anything or control your rig, and your word processing needs are simple--grocery and to-do lists--a Commodore 64 will still work just fine for you. ;)

10. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Using a LimeSDR-USB, as I do requires USB3. It is also better if I have good processors, lots of RAM & video cards for FFT.
    I of course, can use other radios, but with the Lime, I can view 50+ MHz at a time if desired.

Ed