Radio or Computer?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0AEW, Dec 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

I did. It's great.
    Mike N3PM

KQ9J, VK6APZ and W5TTP like this.
  2. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

You can have both for $39.95!!

ft8baofeng.png

NN4RH, WW2PT and VK6APZ like this.
  3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Fine by me. I'll take a nice KWM-2...or even an HW-101. But can I have an IBM Selectric typewriter to go along with them? :)

4. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I'd keep the computer & SDRs. So long as my TT Pegasus is classified as an SDR (Won't work without a computer).

Ed

5. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had a computer connected to my radio from the start. Old tube-rig with a Signalink, playing PSK31 all day. :)

But now that I have more experience with SDRs, I'll never go back to the classics.
    It would be like going back to dial-up internet or having just a handful of over-the-air channels of TV to watch.

Plus there's so much more I can do with a computer than I'd ever be able to do with just a radio alone.

I feel so handicapped whenever I sit down to a stand-alone non-SDR. Get me off that horse-n-buggy and back into my race-car! :)

6. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Keep the computer. If i want analog, I will build it.

IMG_20191202_065629.jpg

WE4B and W4RAV like this.
  7. W0AEW

W0AEW Ham Member QRZ Page

To answer my own question, I'd probably give up the computer (in the shack). The shack is way out of wifi/cable range, and I've never really warmed to digital modes although I occasionally play with the Olivia and similar modes, and use wspr for antenna projects. But the laptop stays in the house and is used for everything from getting the news, reading qrz, and ordering parts.

So, I could give up having the computer with the rig, but not the computer per se.

8. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't know what the deal is lately with the "What if" type threads. Maybe the Zed needs a new forum... Make Believe and Pretend.

Kinda like working at Bed Bath and Beyond, in the Beyond department.

W9FL and K5ABB like this.
  9. W0AEW

W0AEW Ham Member QRZ Page

In future speculations and fun questions and commentaries, I'll be sure to incorporate "what if" in the titles to avoid hurting the sensibilities of any snowflakes out there. :p

WZ7U likes this.
  10. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep. Maybe we could call it "Zed Else Worlds"... A curious place where amplifiers are illegal and 100-watts is QRO, every prospective ham has to pass a 35wpm code test, and amateur support of emergency services is forbidden. ;)

K3XR likes this.