ad: UR5CDX-1

Radio Install in a Jeep

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by W8GTF, Mar 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB0TT

KB0TT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Grounding

Ed :

You know that Glen will come in to explain that the " NEGATIVE " ground need not be fused ...

He had been in the install of MOTOROLA radios forever...

I have done what you have done . Our installs have worked for over 30 years ....

JB

2. KC9JCH

KC9JCH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't know how the photos will come out, never posted pictures to the zed before, but my rig is a wrangler with a TM-D710 Kenwood in it. I mounted the radio on the rollbar with a very stout bolt through the rollbar so that the mic dangles at my right shoulder when not in it's clip. See:
    [​IMG]
    The control head and GPS are mounted on the center of dash:
    [​IMG]
    Was going to include a photo of the antenna mount as that was the hard part for me with a soft top. I fabricated a right angle bracket with a hole appropriate for an NMO mount. I drilled and tapped 2 holes in the back of the high mounted third brake light (which is made of some type of pot metal) and the antenna is a half wave as I didn't know what kind of rf ground I could expect with the third brake light as a mount. It sits fairly high, only the first 10 inches or so of the antenna are below the roofline, and seems to work very well. I don't have a good picture of this bit, and my XYL has the digi camera right now. Will take and post if anyone interested.
    Tim

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  3. W4KTL

W4KTL Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a 2000 Cherokee (XJ). I have an FT-1802, a scanner and external speaker mounted with a Shelf-It (try JC Whitney).
    Easy to install, you remove the sun visors, mount the Shelf-It in their place, and then the sun visors mount to the Shelf-It.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. W8GTF

W8GTF Ham Member QRZ Page

That's awesome and looks like exactly what I want/need. Thanks

How sturdy is it/how much weight does it support?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  5. W4HAY

W4HAY Ham Member QRZ Page

Mine was a '96 Cherokee two-door. Getting the wiring through the firewall was the easy part. There were two large rubber grommets where the wiring harness passed through with enough room to add another two heavy fused wires directly from the battery.

I mounted the rig (IC-229A) to the passenger side of the console. The XYL and I are -- umm, well, let's say if we were horses, we'd be Clydesdales -- and she never had any problems with it. The speaker is on the top of the rig, so no problems with the audio.

The coax was snaked under the carpet.

6. KA0SOG

KA0SOG Ham Member QRZ Page

It won't handle a Model 1200 Remington but radio heads no problem. There are options for similar placement of the 1200 at Cabellas.com:)

On a more serious note the talk about a shelf that you can hide the equipment under sounds pretty good. The wife's Cherokee has a roll up shade to handle the junk in the cargo. But as I have often said the giveaway is the Tarheel and Hamsticks so why bother to hide the radio?

7. AB8XE

AB8XE Ham Member QRZ Page

Jay,
    Per the Chrysler TSB (08-23-99?) on radio installation you are not to fuse the ground lead. If the ground fuse goes open and it finds ground through the antenna or radio frame you cannot guarantee those paths wont cause a fire at an amperage supported by the positive side fuse. That is good engineering practice right from the OEM.

8. KB0TT

KB0TT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

AB8XE:

Installation of equipment should have sufficient grounding at the point of install ..

If the fused ground should open, the maximum current would open the positive feed . If it does not, the positive feed fuse is over-rated ( too high amperage ) .....

It will short the whole circuit ...

Thanks for your input...

The people who write these manuals are not super engineers. I have worked with many of them in the field and in assembly.....

How about having the brake light ( on your instrument panel ) never light if the sensor was not plugged in in the first place ??? Heavy stuff with Auburn Hills .....

That issue was never addressed when engineering the complicated sensor voltages when the computers were reading ambient air , cruise contol , and other capacitive responses.

Good for you.......

I KNOW what I am talking about .... If necessary, call Chrysler at Auburn Hills, Michigan...

If you would like a few of these engineers names, PM me. I will supply said information.

They know me and issues involving just what you are alluding to .....

Let me know what they say ....

JB

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  9. W4KTL

W4KTL Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't know it's weight capacity, but it's fairly sturdy. Should hold as many radios as you can squeeze in without any problem. Here's a link to it from JC Whitney

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2017549/c-10101/Nty-1/p-2017549/Ntx-mode+matchallpartial/N-10101/tf-Browse/s-10101/Ntk-AllTextSearchGroup?Ntt=shelf-it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.