Radio HF on a "little" airplane .... as an optional or ?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by IW2BSF, May 1, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
  1. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes I've done that before/ it works pretty good for 10MHz and up.
    The 02 skymaster that I flew in air shows actually had one mounted right above the pilot's position on top of the cockpit/ it was used on all the Military 02s as standard 20 MHz and up to 70Mhz no tuning needed. I can't remember the military model number/ but it could easily be install and approved.
    If using the long wire NDB/ADF antenna any antenna tuner would work, I have used manual tuners and auto tuners. On my Skymasters 337/p337s and use on many other highwing aircraft over the years/ it is about 20 foot or longer and works good for 5 MHz and up.

2. K0UO

I found this old photo of the 6 foot Military whip/ on a roof/cabin mount for the military 02 Skymaster
    The cabin was reinforced inside with a metal plate under the aluminium.
    Definitely not for speeds over a 175 mile an hour.

But I have used NDB/ADF long wire antennas even on big KingAirs.
    There is also a standard HF long wire antenna very similar to the NDB/ADF but specifically designed for HF If your seeking approval Google you will find them. Most of them are coated with a black outer jacket to shed ice.
    20210502_133710.jpg
    The whip in flight
    Screenshot_20210502-135254_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210502-135310_Chrome.jpg

Last edited: May 2, 2021
    KA0HCP likes this.
  3. W7HV

W7HV Ham Member QRZ Page

Hamstick... A little more than velcro or bungies...just a coupla u-bolts...

Attached Files:

K0UO likes this.
  4. KI4ZUQ

KI4ZUQ Ham Member QRZ Page

That vernier throttle is a real bad idea.

5. IW2BSF

IW2BSF Ham Member QRZ Page

ok but this HF antennas are very very short .... is not like a DUMMY LOAD ?

zz.jpg

6. K0UO

IW2BSF likes this.
  7. IW2BSF

IW2BSF Ham Member QRZ Page

K0UO likes this.
  8. AA4BA

AA4BA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nothing like flying 2,000 to 5,000 feet above ground level and calling "aeronautical mobile" on the two meter calling frequency. Was working to integrate ham radio into our local emcomm group and had three pilots willing to help and volunteer use of their planes and fuel. Began experimenting with handhelds discovering a man with a digital camera, laptop and D-Star dual band H.T. you could get images and written reports back to our EMA and others easily either using d-Star or analog with NBEMS digital. Ended up licensing the owner and one other family member of tow airplanes then prepped both planes for mobile radios. Antennas were hard mounted and "permanent" then coax terminated in easy place to put radio body and control faces mounted either with Velcro or suction cup mount.

Could meet either or both at airport and have radios installed, checked, tied to laptop and talking before they did their pre-flight routine. There are issues to consider and discussing could get plain tedious but I have a GROL and 2/3 of the question pool (eight hour proctored exam making Extra exam look like filling out a old citizens band license) is specific to ship and aircraft radios/antennas. Also have my radar endorsement which helped with understanding aircraft systems, Instrument Landing Systems, etc. I would find a GROL holder if putting ham radio in an aircraft without previous experience.

Above yoke mount GPS units were mentioned and most install with Velcro or straps. Seems many small plane owners are using these as they are so easy to move from plane to plane and when upgrade their unit do not have to have a technician pull equipment from instrument panel and replace. Just Velcro the new GPS like they did the previous. Have now installed ham radio in three planes plus helped with the radios on over a dozen antique aircraft restorations from WW II aircraft through Vietnam era. Have dissembled modern gauges then printed decals to put over the face to look like proper vintage then put gauge back together so owner has modern avionics that looks retro. Also done similar to radios and other systems.

I actually have a marine radar in both my home and work shack have hacked into ground to air so can watch planes around the local airport. Have a marine radar at home use to watch larger boats on Lake Lanier plus have a mobile radar can put radone on top of my truck and watch the larger boats from my truck on south end of lake near the dam where the bigger boats congregate. Have reviewed rules and am very careful to stay on the right side though find myself on the fuzzy edge of interpretation but do not do anything that may endanger people. If I flew planes I would have them stacked with radios as there is nothing like putting your antennas 2,000 plus feet off the ground. Also if pilot gives permission you can operate from commercial aircraft. have had several pilots allow me to operate an H.T. as long as did not use it during the take-off and landing time where all passengers are instructed to stow all electronic devices. One of my best contacts to date was over 400 miles from airplane to guy working a mountaintop on two meter calling frequency and we both were at 2.5 watts during most of QSO but were able to copy each other at one watt.

K0UO likes this.
  9. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

GROL licensees are NOT authorized to work on aircraft as individuals. Installing or changing antennas requires at least an FAA A&P or IA license as well as possibly a 337 Field Approval, Log book entries for Equipment List and an updated Weight and Balance sheet. Alternatively an FAA licensed Avionics Shop or Repair Station can perform this work.

These installations/modifications are not within the realm of a ham license or independent GROL. The local FAA Flight Standards District Office can provide guidance on requirements for authorized installation.

WF7A and K0UO like this.
  10. W7HV

W7HV Ham Member QRZ Page

Certainly for antennas and radios use in the operation of the aircraft and ATC coms. Bungied, velcroed, duct taped, or zip tied radios not related to aircraft operation and ATC coms, are something else. How much velcro, bungees, duct tape, zip ties does it take for something to qualify as being "installed".