Radio HF on a "little" airplane .... as an optional or ?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by IW2BSF, May 1, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. IW2BSF

IW2BSF Ham Member QRZ Page

But this HF radio (ICOM IC-706) in this small airplane ....

Is it an option or standard radio in this type of small aircraft?

tnx 73

aereo.jpg

2. W7HV

W7HV Ham Member QRZ Page

Def not standard, and probably not even an option. It's almost certainly custom and something that would require an FAA field approval to be legit.

N0TZU likes this.
  3. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have run 706s and 7000s in many different planes over the years.

The FAA or your country's Aviation Authority answer is, Velcro.

K0UO/V31KW in the Air or On the AIR daily

N0TZU and N1IPU like this.
  4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Each country's aviation authority determines whether permanent installation is legal.

In the US, the FAA is that authority. Since the IC-706 does not have an FAA TSO (Technical Standards Order) certification, any installation would require a 337 Field Approval from the local FSDO, Flight Standards District Office.

Years ago, such authorizations were easy to obtain including equipment like CB radios, ELT Direction Finders and Auxiliary radios for Civil Air Patrol, along with associated external antennas etc.. In the 1990's the FAA began to take a very restrictive view against installing non-TSO radios. As always, some FSDO's are stricter than others.

In my experience it has been easier to install TSO'd antennas permanantly, and use any non-TSO's radios in a "temporary" mounting, with quick disconnects provided for power and antenna.

A key to success is having a sympathetic A&P IA (Airframe & Power Plant, Inspection Authorization mechanic) who is on good standing with the FSDO, and who has a record of doing such modifications and installations.

I'm not sure of the latest FAA posture. Again, in other countries the aviation authority must be consulted.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
    WF7A likes this.
  5. K0UO

That's for a permitted install.

Just use Velcro,

I've had numerous inspections at airshows.

If is not permanently attached in the aeroplane You could even Velcro it to the dash - You don't need to file anything.

There must be tens of thousands of yoke mount GPSs too.
    Just as long as it doesn't create a safety issue.

Also try to find a sympathetic A&P/ IA now days!

N1IPU likes this.
  6. VE7DQ

VE7DQ Ham Member QRZ Page

N509RF is a homebuilt (experimental) category aircraft. As such, much can be installed and/or accomplished without the blessings or approval of the FAA, such as the installation of a ham radio in the panel. Very neat install, I might add.

I believe the owner of the aircraft is (or was) Robert Furlong, N4NHQ in Phoenix AZ.

N0TZU and K0UO like this.
  7. W7HV

W7HV Ham Member QRZ Page

In my case, I used a bungee, but velcro can work too.

P8190029.JPG

N0TZU, K0UO and IW2BSF like this.
  8. IW2BSF

VELCRO work well.... hi hi :) how antenna used in your airplane ?

9. K0UO

see
    https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?th...o-a-small-aircraft.662446/page-2#post-5101101

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?th...-an-antenna-to-a-small-aircraft.662446/page-3

The radio in this aeroplane is actually Velcroed to the panel
    The radio is under the seat velcroed to the carpet and a microphone is attached to the radio.. I just plug into the speaker port on the Icom radio and jumper cable to my intercom system input which is one of the Jack's for the intercom.

20210502_102819.jpg

[​IMG]
    On This one I use the yoke mount for the ICOM head

Below: This is another install with the 706 that I did years ago Velcro was used. This photo was from an article in QST in 1999 I flew this aeroplane at over 100 airshows
    Screenshot_20210502-104423_Chrome.jpg

Last edited: May 2, 2021
    WM1N and N0TZU like this.
  10. IW2BSF

nice.... used antenna tuner and 6 foot military whip antenna ?