ad: Mountaingoat-1

Radio Ham interviewed about Fractal antenna

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Dec 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K4WGE

K4WGE Ham Member QRZ Page

No such thing as bad attention

Libel? Come down from your cross and sue me, like you threatened to do years ago.

Again, why is Fractal Antenna Systems on QRZ?

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

As this has deteriorated as per the above, I am leaving this thread.

Just a point of info: ku4ey's fine site (Link) lists that firm as a "commercial antenna manufacturor". Not a ham antenna manufacturer or supplier.

If you have problems getting the NOVA segment let me know and I will lobby again for getting portions of it on Youtube.

Now SK here.

Chip W1YW

3. K4WGE

Why is FAS on QRZ?

I think there are commercial manufacturers of amateur radio antennas. Why obfuscate further?

No need to go that far!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  4. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

K4WGE
    Well I'll bite , I read some of your strong statements [ but appear to be weak on substance ] .
    I am very much into truth , but I have missed any good facts , like the last post with a link to KU4EY's site , but I do not pickup on a connection to Chip , except the word fractal ?
    If someone does have a truth to tell , it speaks louder without an attitude .
    Just saying maybe I'm a little thick , so maybe you could make it a little clearer ?
    There many disagreements / or different points of view , but there is never any value to endless attitude , try some details without , and maybe some could pickup on your points then .
    If I think someone is off the wall , I just read else where .

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

John,

G4TUT posted this news item because he felt it was newsworthy. I did not know, nor asked, for this news item to be posted. It refers to the NOVA show that ran last month. It has a segment on how I invented fractal element antennae , and the company that was founded based upon my ham-based experimentation. The company does advertise on QRZ as a 'commercial/government' antenna manufacturer. It does not make nor sell ham antennas: not because hams aren't 'with it'--they obviously are- but because there are many ham antenna companies presently struggling to survive and they need support--not new competition.

The company advertises on QRZ.com ( ad up again in March I suspect) because we think Fred has a great site that should be supported. We urge you to support it. There are many non-ham advertisers of QRZ.com. For example, there is a banner ad for ATT/cell phones up right now. ATT is not a manufacturer nor supplier of ham products. I think its great they are here on QRZ.

I did not know of ku4ey's site nor his posting of the firm, but am grateful that he felt it was worth mentioning as a "commercial antenna manufacturor".

Although I was not given a heads up that I would be a 'news item', I felt it was constructive in gathering info on what would make a good article to write up for ham publications. In addition I provided some info on the latest on fractal antennas. It's really as simple as that.

I do hope that I will be respected in my decision to present some info on ham fractal antennas as I wish, rather than as a few others insist on. For example, posting design and technical info on a thread is really rather pointless and does not have the audience that a print article has.

I am disappointed that the cyberbullying has colored this thread in a way that has no correspondence to my actual comments. It is really upsetting for someone my age, who looks at ham radio as a friendly 'mutual admiration society' for the most part. Some of you folks think that ham 'celebrity's' are unapproachable and shoudn't comment. Well, if friendly communication isn't the basis for ham radio, I don't know what the heck is--it was at age 11 and I sure hope it remains that way these many years later.

I really enjoy the company of my fellow hams.

Chip W1YW
    di di di dah di dah
    which, for apparent need of clarification, means 'signing off', not, in this case, 'dead'.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  6. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Didn't mean to drag you back Chip .
    But anything that's been around a while is going to have some history .
    I just did a search on his call sign , and there is a para graph stating that he is not in a business of selling , making ham equipment or antennas and that some one has taken his name & call , posing as him and trying to sell , then warns that it is scam .
    It's too bad that all the personal stuff is attached and it becomes a soap opera [ I do not have time for soaps ] just interested in the tech parts .
    I very rarely talk about anything but nuts & bolts , many think I'm unfriendly , the point is , I'm not interested in talking sports , soaps , survivor etc.
    Like sitting here at the coffee shop before going off to work [ finally ] , I do not mix in with most of the talk .
    Funny thing is when someone has almost any kind of problem with anything cars , electronics , plumbing , carpentry etc. , I'm the 1st one they look to , and I like that , to help .

7. K4WGE

Fractal Antenna Systems is Chip's company. Take it from there. Let me know if you need further explanation.

8. K4WGE

Chip will tell you he and Fractal Antenna Systems are not trying to sell anything in QRZ. You can make up your own mind on that.

Needless to say, this subject is not Amateur Radio News and the thread should have been moved to Rag Chew a long time ago.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.