ad: elecraft

Radio Hacker's Method

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by VE2UD, Feb 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. VE2UD

VE2UD Ham Member QRZ Page

I listed a want item on a local net.I got a reply very fast with beautiful pictures and stating the ask price
    Now when i went to reply, the reply would not work.and when i went to copy the ip address,it would not let me copy that either
    I wrote down the ip address by hand and did a search to find it came from China
    I checked the ham call he gave me and the email did not match
    They did not want money,they wanted to hack my computer
    As soon as i would have downloaded the pictures it would have been game over for me:eek:

2. KF5CGM

KF5CGM Ham Member QRZ Page

This isn't so true.
    When you have all your updates for your computer, and I mean all updates, and you have a up to date firewall and virus scanner, the download shouldn't have done any harm to your system.
    If this would be a zero day exploit, ok, this can be a problem. But there are not so many zero days out there, and they wouldn't try it this way.
    One problem I have seen is that a lot of hams don't update there computer even that they should know it better.

3. KF5CGM

KF5CGM Ham Member QRZ Page

If you keep your computer updated and you have a firewall and virus scanner, they need to be updated as well, this wouldn't be a problem.

In general only zero day attacks are a serious problem, but I don't think that you had such an attack.

So it isn't as bad as you say, unless you don't update your computer.
    But you should know better.

4. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry Marc, but Don was correct. Yes, we all should keep our systems updated but that wouldn't have prevented the scenario Don described. We all need to be aware that opening an attachment can have fatal consequences for our computer. Sometimes it is malware that just wipes your hard disc and crashes your system or its a worm that mines your system for financial information. In either case, the first thing the software does is take control of your data connection and bypasses your security software; truly game over.

5. VE2DZO

VE2DZO Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks john with your reply
    I do not use virus programs as they can put infections on your computer so you will buy their programs.
    I have not used virus programs in five years as spyware is more harmful.Most Internet servers have virus programs installed on there site to catch them before the virus gets to you,,but not all do so
    I open all my email on-line before i download it to my email program and i check full headers to get the ip address if i think it might be a virus or hacker
    I feel safe with Spybot 2 and it is free
    If they infect your computer with key loggers,your bank account will be empty in no time,or all your passwords will be copied
    You just have to go to a bad web site and they will come right through your port opening
    73's
    Ve2ud

6. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Dang it! You Windows users must be terrified! No need for a virus scanner or Malware detector on my computer.

7. AK4FU

AK4FU Ham Member QRZ Page

If you had a MAC you would not have to worry about such things.

8. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

le_derp.png .................................................

9. KW7RF

KW7RF Ham Member QRZ Page

10. K4NET

K4NET Ham Member QRZ Page

AJ4GQ is right! No matter how much protection you have, there are always new worms and such coming out everyday.....how do you think the Anti-Virus companies stay in business?? No threats, they would be under water. The best freebie is A V G Used it for years, and will not bog down your computer. Even with the best protection, a worm can spread itself thru your computer, and e-mail EVERYONE in your e-mail or contact list.

Best rule of thumb....if in doubt, dont open it and hit delete! This comes from a 15yr IT geek.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.