ad: vanity

Radio Frequency Explorers

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KO4ESA, Jun 10, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I hate it when we get compared to CBers, but that happens less as time goes on, due to attrition[4].

N1VAU and KO4ESA like this.
  2. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am called a “curmudgeon” for not being a fanboy of cool YouTubers or like doing FT-8.

Nice to meet you too!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    K8XG, KK9W, N1VAU and 2 others like this.
  3. W2SGM

W2SGM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Does it? I still meet people that think it’s CB and aren’t aware there is a difference.

If they don’t indicate they are actually interested in learning about either hobby, explaining the distinction almost feels like pedantry.

KO4ESA and WZ7U like this.
  4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not a curmudgeon. I have not yet begun to curmudge!:p

KO4ESA and KE0GXN like this.
  5. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The only comparison of amateur radio to CB I ever run across is from some members here.

When I talk about amateur radio with people who haven't heard of it I usually get blank stares and subject changes.

K8XG, KO4ESA and PU2OZT like this.
  6. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

You are correct. Most people don't have any idea of the difference.

You might just tell them that, being a CBer is like having a learners permit and training wheels. They can only get a taste of what the Amateur Service is about. When they get tired of "10-4 Good Buddy", they can obtain Amateur status by taking a few tests. Then they can have the training wheels removed.

KO4ESA likes this.
  7. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Imagine being asked, "Hey, can you talk to the space station with that fancy radio antenna on your truck?? (Laughter follows)

In all seriousness, YES. Would you like to see how? :cool:...............crickets...........crickets.........crickets.

That has happened to me twice.

K8XG, KO4ESA and N1VAU like this.
  8. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

That's true, but in like manner, the "newbies" (regardless of age) ALSO need to earn respect. Respect is EARNED. And sadly, :(so is disrespect. (And if "respect" is demanded, it IS instead resented.)

KO4ESA and VK4HAT like this.
  9. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nor care.

Burt Renolds, Sally Field, Jerry Reed and Jackie Gleason already taught them all they want to know.

Whenever I wonder what people are thinking about when they see amateur radio the answer is they aren't.

Amateur radio isn't for most people.

K8XG, KO4ESA, PU2OZT and 1 other person like this.
  10. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

When I read the hand wringing posts about how do we get folks interested in the hobby I think to myself do you mean the folks who don't have a clue what you are talking about.

I had one of my vehicles in the shop for some brake work last week and when the mechanic called to speak to me about the repair he said "I noticed your CB radios". Of course, the radios had nothing to do with CB and I was about to explain it all to him when I caught myself and thought is it going to make a difference or would I just be wasting my time. I know some of you are going to say "you missed an opportunity to promote ham radio." In this case, I think I missed the opportunity to further scramble the guy's mind on his knowledge of radio.

If you have an interest in the hobby and want to take the time you can use your keyboard and mouse and enter a world of information. If that's not sufficient just ask me and I'll try to help you or at least point you in the right direction. One thing I won't do is beat you over the head and tell you since ham radio is good for me it will be good for you.

W4IOA, K8XG, KG4RRH and 5 others like this.