Radio Frequency Explorers

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KO4ESA, Jun 10, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

In the former Soviet Union, today's Russia, Japan, and much of Europe, Amateur Radio is still respected by members of the general public. You will
    note that many European local clubs and umbrella-organizations have "Radiosport" in their names. But here's an inconvenient truism--
    Many of these hams pursue the hobby in a very conscientious way; sometimes with formal government support and advocacy, sometimes without.
    But the respect by others is earned. No foolin' around, no sounding like Clown Posse On-The-Air.
    Fox hunting (radio skills intertwined with orienteering), formal training programs for communications skills proficiency (no 3-day wonders),
    Morse competitions.
    Doubtless, a large number of QRZ.correspondents are already warming-up their plastic keyboards as they down their first Metamucil of the morning.
    Just passing on some info. Nothing to get mad at here. Anger is oftentimes displaced embarrassment, as I've commented before.

KO4ESA and K0UO like this.
  2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey! Who are you calling an amateur?:mad::)D) Oh yeah. I forgot. Never mind.:p

KO4ESA likes this.
  3. WA9SVD

Your words are very telling. While RESPECT should be one of the primary characteristics of a (real?) amateur radio operator, how (or why) should "older" hams, warming up their keyboards, respect "newbies," if the newbies give THEM no respect? There IS something to be said about experience, but some newbies actually belittle experience, thinking what/how they want things is how it should be. But experience can often prevent those same individuals from "re-inventing the wheel," (as it were) if those individuals would take the time to listen. And yes, there ARE some newbies that actually DO make better operators that some with 30, 40, 50 or more years "experience," but they probably also take heed of the experience of the older hams that DO show them the right way, whether old or new. But newbies (and that sometimes refers to individuals with 20+-50+ years as a ham) have to show respect, before they receive it.

KO4ESA likes this.
  4. W4HWD

W4HWD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Amateur radio operators.

KO4ESA and K3XR like this.
  5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

See, it's when the monkey poo starts getting flung, as shown above, that someone cries and the threads get disrupted.

You guys really are your own worst enemies.

KO4ESA likes this.
  6. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

I get where you're going OM. But you need only re-read just a few recent postings by newer hams (not kids, grown men and women who have
    served their country in the Armed Forces, made themselves highly respectable professional careers of achievement) who have noted with
    dismay the bum's rush they received at the hands of other hams. I don't think it's useful to start the "Kids these days" chant concurrent
    with cursing the legions of "Old Bastards" . I think you and I are hams and just plain people of good will, and if we can step back from the initial
    emotional response of offense which is simply human, we might agree, on thoughtful reflection, that there is plenty of responsibility (blame)
    to go around. Both views, both sides of this, can be true at the same time.
    I'll just leave you with the reminder of a recent discussion initiated by a retired US Navy Senior Chief here, who spent his career in communications,
    which started as a simple factual question and ended about 12 gazillion QRZ.com pages later with a series of comments that put us right where we are
    here, now. Made me ashamed to be a part of this hobby for a while.
    Some newer hams would be well- served by having a better attitude. Some old hams would be well-served by having a better attitude. Most hams sit on
    the middle 2/3 of the Bell-Curve in the way they conduct themselves. Just like 5 billion other people on the planet.

You and I have no quarrel here; I just wish the issue didn't even exist such that it needed discussion. It does.

KO4ESA likes this.
  7. WA9SVD

In a nutshell, just saying respect goes BOTH ways.

KO4ESA likes this.
  8. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

After your post #10, I'm not sure what to think. IB4TL is a pretty disrespectful post on the nice person's thread.

Just sayin.

KO4ESA likes this.
  9. WA9SVD

It wasn't meant to be disrespectful; just an observation about a thread on a similar topic that got locked. So far, the discussions have been civil; even if there is some disagreement.

KO4ESA likes this.
  10. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Funny, I get the same thing in a Confused Joe forum.

KO4ESA and W3SY like this.