Radio for Sat operations

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by LB4NH, Sep 22, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. LB4NH

LB4NH Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi there, Im looking for a radio to use in the field on u/vhf and are hoping to get some tips on what to look for.

I thing i want someting with built in usb, and hopefully audio also via usb, as I'm using software for tuning audio in and out, and recording.
    50W + i guess,,,

well as im new to this all suggestions are welcome :)

de LB4NH

2. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

50W? Why? Unless you are using omni antennas (vertical, eggbeater, turnstile, etc), you really should never ever need more than 10w.

Can't help you on the USB audio and CAT control - other than knowing it will be an expensive setup.

3. KO4MA

KO4MA Ham Member QRZ Page

There are other uses than satellite where 50w is appropriate and helpful.

4. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

True and a good point, but I think the answer given is based on the title of the thread and the fact that is was posted in this particular forum.

5. LB4NH

LB4NH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for your opinion on this, but I'd we take your issue out of the equation I.e. The 50w one.
    I have tried a ft991 with great success, but this is still a bit on the expensive and heavy side to bring to the field.

And basically I wondered if anyone know of any other radio that can do UHF VHF FM ssb through a built in cat and soundcard.

6. KS3O

KS3O XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There was an Icom rig my club used for field day this year for our satellite station. I believe it was a IC-910H or something. It won't have a USB port for rig control, but interfaces are available. Also, it probably weighs more than the Yaesu FT991. If cost is your biggest concern, I would go with an older rig, like the icom and just add any interfaces you want. If you want the convenience of a "modern" rig then I would go with the Yaesu.