ad: AlphaRF-1

Radio/electronics lettering

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by WA9SVD, Nov 5, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

I know similar questions have been asked, but not necessarily answered conclusively.
    I have been "out of" DIY for a LONG time, but now I'm back, and have some projects I'm completing, or re-working (i.e., repainting.) a few items that now need labeling. Since "rub on" lettering made by DATAK apparently is no longer made, is there any alternative sources? All I've been able to find is "vinyl" single lettering, @ 1" or larger; I'm looking for 1/4 - 1/8" lettering, preferably full words rather than individual letters. (One project is a HeathKit GDO; it still works perfectly, but I had to re-paint it, so it needs new labels.)

2. AJ4SN

AJ4SN Ham Member QRZ Page

I simply use a label maker with clear backing. Check out my QRZ page for some examples. It is not the prettiest, but it is the simplest, and it works ok! I have used rub on, laser printed labels, and other methods, too.

Stan

3. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I've labeled projects with water slide decals. The special paper is available from lots of vendors. It is quite straightforward if you have a laser printer that will print what you want.

4. WD0GOF

WD0GOF Ham Member QRZ Page

5. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

In the past, I used rub-on lettering. I still have a sheet around somewhere. I'd paint the front panel white, rub on the letters I needed, then overspray with clear spray paint to preserve the letters.

While that worked really well, any more I've gotten kind of lazy and just print out what labels I need on a mailing label, cut it out, and just stick it on. I use vinyl labels so they will last longer and not yellow like paper labels. But this idea works quite a bit better because I can even print graphics instead of just letters, and I don't have to go buy another sheet of lettering when I use up all the "E's."

6. WD0GOF

WD0GOF Ham Member QRZ Page

I do a similar panel build see 117-44-station-build.pdf (wordpress.com)

7. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use laser clear sheet avery adhesive labels 8-1/2 x 11 and either cut out what I need or use the entire sheet
    If you want to layout an entire front plate there are cad programs like front panel designer (free)
    or other cad programs like libre cad or nanocad or pcb software like diptrace all free
    I also use a brother p-touch labeller that has colored label cartridges available - good for wire markers

upload_2021-11-5_19-27-17.png made from avery label 8-1/2 x 11 stock using front panel designer

upload_2021-11-5_19-25-45.png made with a p-touch labeller 1/4" black on clear cartridge

KP4SX likes this.
  8. K5MIL

K5MIL Ham Member QRZ Page

Water slide decals work great as long as you want any color than white. I have tried every source on the Internet for white rub on lettering for electronic projects and nothing is available anymore. I constructed a replica of a Knight Kit Ocean Hopper receiver which the panel is lettered in white. I finally decided the only way was silk screening which I had never done before. Took me two tries but it did come out pretty well I think.
    Bill - K5MIL
    Pic-2.jpg Pic-9.jpg

KP4SX and W1VT like this.
  9. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The guys who do custom decals for model railroading and model rockets can do white. Its been a while since I used any of them but the price wasn't unreasonable if you provide ready-to-print artwork.

10. KY8D

KY8D Subscriber QRZ Page

N7EKU likes this.