"Radio Computer"

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by N5CM, Nov 3, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

With all due respect, (at least) MY i7-7700 has L1, L2, AND L3 caches on-board the processor itself. Perhaps you make other errors as well,? For MOST ham software, even an i-series processor isn't absolutely necessary. While even a Pentium level may be more than adequate, processor longevity isn't usually the limiting factor; motherboard 'longevity" is usually the culprit. (I have yet to se a processor fail before a motherboard gives out, and have often (re) used a processor in a replacement motherboard . While yes, SOME motherboards (such as in commercial products) can be "upgraded" with a faster or better processor, that will certainly void any warrantee that may be applicable, and will almost certainly require an update of chipset and other drivers. The question then, is the time and effort worth it? Will the motherboard actually be stable with a faster processor? All of that has to be taken into consideration, not just "pop in a faster/better" processor.

2. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm "a tad late to the party", but a couple of things aren't right. First, if your have 8GB, then get a "recovery" disc and reinstall Win 7 using your Dell OEM key. (About $10 on eBay) One of the first things you will be asked by the recovery software is "which version?"
    If you check, "win 7 pro, 64 bit," that's what it will install. If the Dell key was only good for "home," it should tell you. And, when you enter the Dell key, you will have Win 7 pro 64-bit version installed and functional.

Now, comes the "fun." You will need to update Win 7 through well beyond SP1. So, I hope you take the time to install your network card drivers and get full web access as that's a must. Plus, all hardware drivers for the machine from Dell or a driver disc.

To get to Win 10, with MS' free offer, it is an exercise. Log on as Administrator. You will need to create an Administrator account. To do that, press control-shift and enter. You should see a CMD window open. Type "net user administrator /active:yes" After it accepts the command, reboot. You'll see two login icons. One administrator, one yours. Click on the Administrator. Then go to the MS Win 10 "Media Installation Tool" site and download the program.
    When you run it, check "upgrade this PC." After it completes, it will briefly ask you for a key. Then, you'll get a screen that offers, among other things, an "automated activation by phone." Check that and dial the toll free number. Follow the instructions and enter what the voice tells you into the boxes on your screen. When it completes, it will tell you that it is successfully activated. Not quite. You then have to exit and re-run the Media Installation Tool. It will then install Win 10 without asking for a key.

Good luck. It's a lot of hassle, but you can't do it unless you log on as Administrator. After several days of frustration, that part I figured out.

I think I'll post as a separate thread as there are probably quite a few still running Win 7 out there.....

3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that is basically what was said. In Win 7, you are normally logged in as "Admin" when you first install any flavor. (M$'s account system however, throws some curves, at least in Win 10.) To be safe, I have several "accounts" on my machines as "administrator," in case I somehow trashed one. (That happened to me with Win 8.1; I HAD to wipe the disk and completely re-install Win 8.1, as after an "update" and glitch, I was left with only ONE user account, without admin privileges. Fortunately, the machine accepted the re-install without further activation.) It was a bit of a mess, but with multiple accounts, if one gets trashed, I can resort to another without re-installing the OS.

ADDED: Win 8.1 (Pro) is a slight improvement from Win 7. I only used Win 7 for a couple of weeks: I basically hung onto XP until I moved up to Win 8.1. Unfortunately, the Win 8.1 machine(s) (I have 2) only have 4 GB, (one CAN'T be upgraded; the other won't accept more, despite the MoBo being certified for up to 16 GB) and neither will run Win 10, so they are essentially E.O.L. in another year or so, at least as "on-line" work goes. Even my main computer (an i7-7700) is now four "generations" :mad: (but only 2 years) old, and already considered obsolete by some.:(