"Radio Computer"

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by N5CM, Nov 3, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. AJ4WC

AJ4WC Ham Member QRZ Page

I got on Amazon and ordered two certified refurbished Dell PCs.

I got two PCs with I5 processors, 8 GB of RAM with Windows 7 for $250 each. Since they were business machines, they were already setup for dual monitors. I didn’t care that Windows 7 isn’t supported because I only have radio stuff on them.

Anyway, one day I checked the Microsoft website and was able to download and install Windows 10 - for free on both PCs.

I assume it because they were commercial machines and had legit certs still on the drive.

2. KD0KZE

KD0KZE Ham Member QRZ Page

I updated my son's Dell Latitude laptop (I forget the model, but it's an i5 CPU) from regular Windows 10 to the 20H2 patch level. From the time it began downloading to the final reboot was something on the order of 10 (!) hours. I thought it was going to burn out the storage device. There were a couple times when it counted down the % completion, reached 100%, only to reboot and then start the counter back at 0% for some other aspect of the upgrade. Worst upgrade experience I've seen in ~30 years of computing.

Seems to boot up a bit more slowly now also. I wonder if there's an update for the update.

I could have wiped his system and put Linux on it, fresh install, in less than an hour if he didn't need it for some Windows-only things. I can't imagine working IT for an organization of any size that needs to upgrade a whole fleet of PC's, and take them out of service so long. Time = money. Hopefully the upgrade doesn't take so long on faster machinery. And hopefully it speeds them up, once upgraded. But this has only distanced me further from M$. I think their last half-decent OS was Windows 7. XP was a workhorse. But I've run Windows 7 on fairly modest machinery and boot-up time, etc. was perfectly acceptable. But the 20H2 patch for Windows 10 was decidedly not an improvement.

73, KD0KZE / Paul

3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

MS "allows" an upgrade to Win 10 for those who have a "legitimately licensed?" (and activated) version of Win 7 or Win 8,1, but it will only be the Win 10 version that corresponds to your particular version of the previous Windows. (So only Win 7 Pro or Ultimate, or Win 8.1 Pro will be updated to Win 10 PRO; anything else will get in 10 Home edition.) So if your computer(s) currently use a 32 bit version of Win 7 or Win 8.1, you may get Win 10 (Home version) 32 bit! (And THAT will only allow a maximum of 4 GB to be used, no matter how much physical memory you actually have in the machine.)

IF your Win 7 machines originally had 8 GB of memory, that would indicate that (hopefully) it was Win 7 64 bit; if refurb business machines, they may or may not have had a Pro or Ultimate version of Win 7 installed (or re-installed.) You can always check to be sure.

4. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have dell box I5 with 8G of memory and win7pro but IO think its from a dell disc.
    will that update to win10pro for free ??

5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

In theory, yes. Does your computer have a sticker on the side (or bottom) with a MS Windows license key? (A series of five characters [alpha and/or numeric] separated by dashes?) If so, it should work. (Write it down, and have it handy when you upgrade.) But again, check if the Win 7 (Pro in your case) is 32 or 64 bit. While a "refurb" machine MAY be stuffed with 8 GB of memory, but if it has the original "Dell disc" that installed 32 bit Win 7, you will only be able to upgrade to Win 10 32 bit (very undesirable) or not at all.

(I have two licenses for Win 7: one is an OEM Win 7 Pro, 64 bit, and the other is a retail Win 7 Ultimate . The OEM is ONLY 64 bit; the Ultimate upgrade came with both 32 and 64 bit version DVD's; one had to choose which version to use, but not both.)

I'd just try it; if the upgrade won't work, you will be told that (and/or get an offer to purchase Win 10.) But an i5 with 8 GB memory should be quite acceptable (or, at least acceptable) for Win 10; performance will depend partly on the actual speed and generation of the i5.
    Good luck!

6. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

thanks,
    it is an original install of win7 pro 64bit but the productID# has "oem" in it plus theres a Dell icon on the system properties page
    in there it says its an intel I5 660 @ 3.33Ghz
    Cant find the sticker (not visible where the box is) but a serial checker shows the 5 of 5 license key
    if thats "a-go" then I will try an upgrade
    I have the drive imaged and have a startup recover CD, so...
    I should be able to go back to what I have now unless microsoft removes/dis-qualifies the win7 pro that's currently installed
    Recently had problems getting win7pro activated on a spare hard drive in my dell laptop. Installed ok but wouldnt athenticate and that was with a Dell win7pro CD with valid serial#
    Anyway the main concern is that if I have to goback to win7pro after a failed win10, reimaging may not athenticate again

7. KD9CPB

KD9CPB Ham Member QRZ Page

I know I'm a bit late to the party on this thread, but over past couple months I've been using AntiX Linux & Raspberry Pi OS in the shack, wrote a bunch about it at https://kd9cpb.com/linux

Linux isn't for everyone, but I was pleasantly surprised how well I could talk on Echolink & browse the web safely on a 15 year old 32-bit laptop!

Unless you really have your heart set on using a Raspberry Pi, it takes a lot of patience for things to happen when trying to use it like a desktop computer. Hopefully the next generation is way speedier, we'll see

8. N4DJC

N4DJC Ham Member QRZ Page

I use what already I have... a 2015 MacBook Pro running Parallels 16 and Retail version of Windows 10. It works fine, is plenty fast and has a 512 Gb SSD. It has all the legacy ports, the last one to have them.

9. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

My shack computers have always been "a beaters with heaters." The only thing I do that requires any serious processing is some antenna and circuit modeling. Of much greater importance is having sufficient serial ports to run external widgets.

W9FL and KB0MNM like this.
  10. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

If you wish to get a better processor or larger hard drive, what I say will not matter. But if you are thinking about saving the money for later, try:
    1. Going to the start menu, all programs, accessories, system tools for:
    1a. Disk cleanup
    1b. Defragmentation ( even if it looks like you do not need to defragment )
    2. Find good tools to clean up 'cookies' and other remnants of web surfing- unfortunately, you may have to 'surf' to get good reviews for these programs.
    3. Repeat step 1a, 1b, above.
    -or-
    1. Upgrade the 'cache' memory, if possible.
    -or-
    Both of the above series of steps, preferably in that order. Expect that defragmentation may take overnight, and then part of the next day.
    If you are looking for a new machine after all, consider the serial ports- as others have mentioned. You may need them for older hardware. Desktop machines are considered less desirable if you travel frequently, yet there are 'bricks' with solid-state drives. The SSDs can increase your speed significantly.