"Radio Computer"

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by N5CM, Nov 3, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. 2E0CIT

2E0CIT Ham Member QRZ Page

This thread is old now but ......I need to say I wouldn't buy a Lenovo again!
    I bought a new one for my xyl and upgraded it with a SSD and bigger memory. she treats it very carefully but the case which is made of thin plastic is falling to bits. The screen cracked for no reason and had to be replaced. The physical build quality is very poor. We have a bunch of Dell laptops in the house that are strong and work well, -and some are years old and have been lugged across the world, but it's the newest one, the Lenovo, that's falling to bits.!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    W9FL likes this.
  2. KQ8W

KQ8W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Which model of Lenovo? Even with Dell, some models are simply cheaply made. However, I've great success with their Lattitude line over the years as well as the Inspiron XPS.

3. KQ8W

KQ8W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think I've ever calculated it that way before. Running the numbers though, I get about $200/year for my PC desktop currently (it's still going strong) and about $150/year for my Mac laptops.

4. 2E0CIT

2E0CIT Ham Member QRZ Page

Lenovo IdeaPad 320 15.6 inch
    A6 4GB 1TB laptop-Grey

It cost £299 = $411 in June 2018

Yes, I think the more sleek and lightweight you go the weaker the build is. My wife wanted something not too heavy but I'll have the solid battlefield version any day!!!!

Back in the late '70s, computers designed for a hard life in schools,were just being introduced and we received one where I was teaching. These things, including the keyboards, were made from steel and built like tanks...to last forever...absolutely unbreakable!! At the time the designers didn't realise that rapid development of chip and storage technology would make their excellent products obsolete within a year or so.

Now it seems, things are designed to be obsolete by the time you exit the store door!:eek:
    73 Jeff

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    WA9SVD and KQ8W like this.
  5. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

That is more than enough to do what you want, especially if dedicated to only to radio and only connected to the internet for updates periodically. Windows Defender is more than adequate AV protection for occasional use. Otherwise, leave it disabled.

All you really have to do is wipe the hard drive to get it back to factory default Windows 10. Do not install any apps other than what is required to interface with your radio. So as long have a sound card built-in, you got more than enough machine.

Save your coins to buy you a laptop to surf the web and do putter stuff. Don't waste it on a radio that cannot take advantage of and preventing you from doing whatever else you want.

6. W9FL

W9FL Ham Member QRZ Page

You can pick up a used "refurbished" computer off Amazon for $100.00 or so. For Amateur Radio, you don't really need anything super fast.

I actually bought two refurbished off Amazon for my shack. $90.00 apiece.

3ghz core 2 duo, 4 gig of ram, 500 gig hard drive, R/W DVD, wifi, Windows 10 64 bit. With mouse and keyboard.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    KP4SX likes this.
  7. KD0KZE

KD0KZE Ham Member QRZ Page

For hardware I've been a fan of factory-refurb business/government class Dell Optiplexes. I run Linux, so can't say how Windows would perform, but an i5 with 8 GB of RAM performs fine. Also have an i7 with 16GB and don't notice much of a difference. I run Debian with the MATE desktop manager, known to be fairly lightweight. It's really fast.

73, KD0KZE / Paul

8. SARATIM

SARATIM QRZ Member

I agree with your opinion, I am using Lenovo g50, a complete plastic body and it fell from me like million times and totally damaged. A friend of mine recommends this laptop because he said HP or dell laptops have metal frames and they got heated very much but he didn't say anything about plastic body laptops that they have to be used with care because if you drop them it will be broken. And here I am with my Lenovo g50 taped up all over its body. :(

2E0CIT likes this.
  9. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

My computer is an pink, old, battered, flooded, broken ASUS Eee PC 1025C (Intel Atom N2800, 1,86GGz, 2Gb RAM) that my friend gave me. But after repair it copes quite successfully with radio control and logging. Win7 32bit, N1MM - all I really need from it. Even if it will be irreparably damaged, then it is not at all sorry.

AH7I likes this.
  10. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have not had any experience of current Lenovos, but they used to be pretty good value for money and reliable. My last employer - a major IT Outsourcer - selected Lenovo as its corporate standard and bought them by the thousand. I was issued with a Thinkpad X240s which was dragged all over the place and seriously mistreated. When I left the company, they looked at the inventory number and decided that they really didn't want it back, so I could keep it provided I let the IT department wipe down the disk. It's sitting next to me as I type - still going strong after three or four years of private ownership. I only retired it last autumn when I finally decided that I needed a larger screen...

Martin