"Radio Computer"

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by N5CM, Nov 3, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

??? He said "I'm thinking about getting a "radio computer..."

That doesn't sound like he's thinking of using the Win 10 Dell machine he already has...

2. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

He did. And he also said he's not a computer guy and that the one he had was getting slow. Which in context, is the reason of thinking of getting a "radio computer." So a suggestion of how to speed up his existing computer to save some cash and is a useful response. Thanks for playing.

3. N6YWU

N6YWU Ham Member QRZ Page

Choose your software first, then pick a computer that your chosen or favorite software and apps require.

Choose an operating system that you know how to use, or want to learn how to use, or have lots of friends (grandkids, etc.) who will help you keep the system in good shape.

Make sure to pick a model with sufficient IO ports for all your radios, enough RAM, and an SSD, etc. Almost any CPU is fast enough these days for basic radio ops. If you pick a laptop, you will more easily be able to operate portable (for fun, or in case of some disaster or power grid failure.)

I prefer macOS and Linux systems, so my radio computers are a couple of dedicated Raspberry Pi 4's (one per radio), and a MacBook Pro. However that restricts my choice of radio software to a much more limited set than the choice of a Windows 10 PC allows.

4. WA9SVD

He said "I'm thinking about getting a "radio computer" and trying some digital communications and computer logging. The "radio computer" would be dedicated to radio stuff only. The Dell would be used for stuff that uses Microsoft Office and for e-mails."

HOW does that equate to a "new" computer and using the Dell for radio apps only?

5. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If planning FT-8 it can be a processor hog. My older 2-core 3 ghz machine noticeably slowed with it running. My newer i7 3.8Ghz 8 core doesn't even notice it.

6. WA6FX

WA6FX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I bought a recycled Dell Latitude E7450 laptop with a touchscreen and Windows 10 Pro installed for my radio apps. It looks brand new, the battery life
    is outstanding and it's running everything I can throw at it with an IC 7300 no problem. It was $260 delivered.

N5CM likes this.
  7. WA9SVD

That seems a good price! What processor/speed, HD (or SSD) capacity, and how much RAM? (Different internal configurations of theE7450 had different processors and memory amounts.)
    Should be more than enough for amateur radio purposes.

8. K1APJ

K1APJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No matter what computer I buy, new, used, whatever, it works out to $250/yr of service.

Just sayin'

W9FL likes this.
  9. WA6FX

WA6FX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It has an Intel Core i5 5300U cpu @ 2.30ghz
    It came with a 256gb SSD drive and 8 gigs of RAM with a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro with nothing else.
    Blank slate for amateur radio apps... I've been having an absolute blast with it and the myriad of ham radio apps available.
    It's been working flawlessly as I clunk around on it learning Windows. This laptop is only for radio apps, I'm guessing I'll easily
    get more than a year out of it. Totally worth it so far!

10. WA9SVD

That's actually a decent price, especially if the battery is in good shape; great for portable use! (You may be able/want to add memory; extra DDR3 memory is relatively inexpensive, but even 8 GB is a decent amount.)